Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regarding power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

uma24u

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends

can u pls tell me about power consumption of cmos

and what is the difference between cmos and bjt powerconsumptions.

cheers,
uma

with regards to digital or analog design?

regarding about analog

Usually power consumption of CMOS analog circuit is calculated with multiflying current and voltage. Bipolar will consume more than CMOS according to base driving.

For digital, surely CMOS is much lower in power consumption than bipolar.

But for analog, it depends. Even though bipolar draws base current, so does the collector or the drain of a MOS transistor. So there is always static power dissipation. Bipolar gives you much higher transconductance of the same current as compared to a MOS transistor. So when designing RF circuits, bipolar can be used to design much higher frequency circuits than CMOS. Even for normal analog operations, bipolar are considered to have lower noise. The only place where I think CMOS is much better than bipolar is low-power analog. Here the devices are operated in sub-threshold. I have not seen any work on ultra-low power analog in bipolar.

The cmos static power consumption is very less and hence is used for logic implementation. However in design of analog, the biasing current flows in cmos as well as bipolar and will mostkly be governed by the design specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back