Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reference about using software serial port 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edma

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
creating uart

howdy..I've been using USART (8251) to interface my board to PC.However,sometimes the data seem to be missed(I use interupt). I plan to try software serial port using port 1. Anybody can give me a comment and suggest any reference to do so.tq...

Re: Software Serial port

You have to tell us more about your board: Port1?, any microcontrollers there?

The UART IC is proper IC for this purpose.
Creating UART in software has certain limitations and quite often causes a lot of timing problems.
But if you insist options are available ..

edma

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Software Serial port

Dear edma,
I'm new in this forum. I dont quite sure wether this problem has been around in other thread or not. However I already faced this problems with my 8051 board. I have 2 serial port, 1 using the controller serial port, the other using USART(8251). It seems that the USART works very well using polling method, but not using interrupt.

The way I solved this problem is by implementing a software watch dog using one of the timer. The timer will re-intialize the USART when it detects long inactivity of the serial. I know this is not the best, but it works well in my case. May it could fit yours too.

By the way, if anybody have any better ideas, pls share. Probably I could update mine too !!

Thnks

Added after 46 minutes:

Dear edma,
An addition to my previous reply.
If U thinking of using a software serial port, i remember last time i have been using 80C196 an intel chip. They have 1 application note of implementing the softwre serial port. Probably it could help.

edma

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I would encourage anyone who is interfacing with the
PC serial port to purchase Jan Axelson's wonderful
book Serial Port Complete. It truly is the bible of
serial port interfacing. It will save you many hours of
pulling your hair out. :)

www.lvr.com

Nick

I have worked so many times with microcontroller serial ports and 8251 USART chip. Both will work perfectly if your hardware is fine. problems will with be software. The software serial port will be having somany limitations, do not enter in that loop. This is only needed if you do not have standard UART support in the hardware.

What is the problem. If it is on PC side just download good serial port software and work around. If the problem is target side, mention the micro which you are usign and attach the code. Some one can find the problem and help you out to solve the problem.

have a nice day
SivaC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back