Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend an alternative small OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Loh.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I there any one who knows an alternate OS (a small one for a floppy) just to have some fun when you do not wnat to use windows ?

nano98

i have linux 7.3 on mini cd (about 150Mb) which u can use a alterna OS. Even no hard-drive required to start computer !!!

nano98 download img

Shoaib said:
i have linux 7.3 on mini cd (about 150Mb) which u can use a alterna OS. Even no hard-drive required to start computer !!!

I remember a person who did a paper presentation in my college an year ago... He said that he could operate OS without having an HARdisk.. But the disadvantages were that any information or updates which are to be updated couldnot be done unless you have a CD writer... Though the CD writer rates have come down drastically, it cannot matach the speed of a Hardisk.... And moreover... the writing of data(updated) into the HD is automatic and are maintained by algorithsm.. but in this case.. we will have to write for many any times manually and that is really bugging.. May be for FUN we could use it.. but not permanently hoping to erase the HD use itself... :)

regards,
arunmit168.

nano98 download

A vital file of the nano 98 has been moved or deleed. :(

The rest were only articles. :( :cry:

I really thought that I could get myself a floppy disk operating system...

Is OS/2 available ? has any one used it ?

qnxdemo.zip download

But This needs winXP legal version CD.

I use WIN2000. And was looking for a 1-2 floppy fun OS :(

mini win95

A vital file of the nano 98 has been moved or deleed.

The rest were only articles.

I really thought that I could get myself a floppy disk operating system...

Is OS/2 available ? has any one used it ?

im sorry i didnt know about that. well it seems as if the version of 95 by BOFH, micro 95 and nano 98 all are gone! its really wierd. u should keep googling and when u find something do tell me.

i know that its really fun having an OS on a floppy but u dont get much out of it. and floppies are out these days (DELL ships computers without floppy drives). and floppy drives are slow. so why dont u go for something thats on a CD. try out knoppix. its for free and u can keep your windows installation working. just boot from the CD and u have it loaded into your RAM. read the following article about knoppix

**broken link removed**

download the ISO image, burn it on a CD, boot from it and have fun

micro95 download

Here is it.

nano98 internet

i suggest BasicLinux its use two floopy disk only. if you interested.you can get it at h**p://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/

nano98 image

Sounds great...

I am downloading it.

Hopefully and I feel certainly that this doenload is not going to disappoint me. :)

I will write back when I test it. :) :)

download nano98

Both LOAF (Linux On A Floppy) and tomsrtbt are both quite good single-floppy linux distributions. (google for links)

os on a floppy

where i found LOAF?.
Because h**p://loaf.ecks.org/ has not found.

etek.chalmers.se/~e8gus/nano98/

where i found LOAF?.
Because h**p://loaf.ecks.org/ has not found.

yes the link is not working. the site must be down or something. this usually happens with the not-so-famous distros of linux.

u can try tomsrtbt **broken link removed**

or u can try floppix (linux on two floppies) **broken link removed**

and there is a distro simillar to LOAF at sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmosixloaf/

nano98 gone

Hello,

Try these two unix clones:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

SB

nano98.iso

Here you will find many floppy based liux versions
**broken link removed**

regards

download nano98 image

QNX DEMO is the best Operational System between tiny "1-floppy" OS'es.

No hard disk is required! Each disk contains the OS, GUI, PPP or networking, Web browser, file browser, and several demo applications.

Hardware requirements:

386 or better.
8 megs of ram.
Hardware / RS232 modem (not a winmodem) or NE1000/2000, DEC 21x4x, or 3com 509 based network card.
Serial or PS/2 mouse.
VGA or Vesa 2.0 compatible card.
No hard disk needed

The demo disks are no longer available from the QNX site, but they can be downloaded here:
Network Card version : **broken link removed**
Modem version: **broken link removed**

An ISO of the current full version of QNX for personal use can be downloaded from the QNX web site.

download nano98

:cry: I tried basic linux...

I was using win 2000 so I tried to install dos 6.2 from a old set of disks that I had and ended up crahing my PC. :(

I will certainly try all linux distributions....Thae all sound great :)

Will adding rpms make these as good as fedora or redhat ? (gnome, kde etc )

I know little about linux...So I am trying to learn ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back