Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

receiver power consumption for WSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

preethi19

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm working on WSN the receiver part.. the paper i read mentioned that many WSN publications and the paper itself used random access protocol since the transmitter always sends bursty flow of data.... because of this we keep the receiver always active so it can detect if a message is being sent... since its active all the time power is consumed.... why cant we turn off the receiver?? meaning like other than medium access and random access is der any efficient way wer the receiver can be turned on only when der is a packet destined for it.... so meaning though the data sent is bursty flow of data cant the timing wer that bursty flow of data sent to a particular reciever can be sent only at a particular time so that till that time receiver can be turned off.... but this will be same as synchronous approach right??? is der anyway to do the thing i asked in an asynchronous approach??? can this be done??? if yes can anyone pls suggest an efficient method for efficient data transfer and lower power consumption.....

Also in WSN is it always necessary that if a data is der it has to be sent immediately because if we turn off receiver for some time then no transfer takes place right.... this can be done but is it advantageous to do it??? i mean say for medical applications why does monitoring have to be done continuosly... cant it be done in regular intervals or it is always good to built a system wer data transfer can take place at any time??
I just thought of something not sure if this idea is possible... like all transmitter are sensor nodes and it transmits the data to receiver which is at the base station wer all information is collected.... like does WSN have base stations or is like information just received at the receivers and thats it because i am not sure i read once advantage of WSN is that it can be employed any region where setting up communication infrastructure is difficult... so infrastructure does it refer to base station or just wired trasnmission lines???? ok so if base station receives all the data before the receiver block cant we have a block which controls all the receivers and data is given to this block before to the receiver and this block sees for which receiver the data is for and turns on that receiver alone thereby resulting for other receivers to be off and so power consumption at receiver will be less.... and if this idea is possible will this block before the receiver consume a lot of power where it makes no differnece in adding this block.... if der is a block what is its name or is there any sugesstions... and so if there is a block wer all data is sent to it first then it acts like a global controller with medium access protocol right.... so if it fails then whole system fails right?? is der a way wer der is no global controller and its random access but der is a block to tell the receiver wen to be on or off.. first of all i know WSN has lots of trasnmitters but does it have a single base station where the receiver is or multiple receivers.... if just single receiver at base station and if like more than 1 transmitter wants to send data wont der be clash or like is there like a pipeline wer the data is received at the receiver where it receives data from one transmitter and other are put at hold?? how does it work... pls help... if anyone has any papers to suggest then kindly attach the link.. thank u

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back