Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reasons for choosing FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ya_montazar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have some fundamental and frequently questions, which I have some answers for them. I want to get to know more ideas and use the other expertise regarding this issue, especially those who have wide and various practical experiences by using microcontroller such as ARM or powerful processor like DSP.

Could you please tell me in full details with references why you are still using FPGA rather than using other protocols which I have mentioned above.

Regards
Meysam Sh.

Hi,

you can see an FPGA like "programmed" hardware.
The delay from input to output can be in the small nanoseconds. With a controller or DSP it is in microseconds..
The FPGA can work a lot of calculations in parallel with variable bus width. A controller or DSP has fixed bus width and has to do the calculations in serial.

In a large FPGA an can implement a complete controller/DSP or only the parts of the controller/DSP you need. Additionally you can implement all the glue logic that is usually needed by a controller.

FPGAs are very flexible and complex. They have multiple clock generation mudules inside, they have RAM inside, they have high speed serial communication ports, they can communicate with multiple voltage levels at the same time.

A controller/DSP is easy to use. You have a fixed command set and fixed pin functions. All this usually is described in one document.

Both devices have their benefits...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.