Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reading CPU temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurgathor

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know how to read the temperature sensors in a PC under W2K?

I have an older 440GX mobo with dual CPUs, and most programs that read the CPJU temps just lock up my PC (Speedfan, hmonitor, etc.) the one that doesn't (MBM5) displays invalid values (i.e. -48°C) for for some sensors, although it gets one CPU right. In the BIOS setup the values are correct, so it's probably not a HW failure. So I figured I'll just roll my own, but I'd like to get some help to get started.

TIA

i don't about the softwares available for it. Some HT processors bios configuration shows it. If you want to make hardware and read the temperature, thengo for LM35 temperature sensor with ADC and parallel port. I have given the code in my book. You can get it from yahoo group-booksbybibin. Code is uploaded there

All necessary hardware is already on the board, so I don't need to add anything, or make my own HW. Usually, all that's needed is to probe for devices on SMBus or on I2C, and read them.

The first thing to do is to get the HW monitoring chip datasheet. And elaborate from there, it will explain about which hardware port to use to communicate with it. I've made such a software back then for VIA693A based motherboard. However, I didn't poke around SMBus, just directly read ISA bus for that purpose, since the chip (Winbond Wxxxxx; forgot the details) is defined in the ISA bus at port 295h (address port) and 296h (data port). I've made a quite general "port I/O probing" software back named Explochip then in my website. It's almost defunct now :cry:, as I have ots of workload. You might want to read the code:
http://www.geocities.com/mamanzip/srccodes.html

Anyway, Linux lm_sensors modules might also interesting as starting point: **broken link removed**

goodluck,
PCZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back