Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

read images from usb connected to fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Khosla

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. does virtex-6 have a usb interface?
2. i want to read images from usb using vhdl?

1. No FPGA has any specific interface. All IOs are general purpose so you can add whatever interfaces you like. You just need to provide a controller for them.
2. Cool. let me know how it goes.

All FPGAs just have general purpose IOs. You can connect these IOs to any device you want. On that specific dev board you linked to, the board has a USB connector which will be connected to the FPGA. But the FPGA must be compiled with a USB controller. Without the USB controller IP, the usb will not work.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
so u r trying to say that i have to make the vhdl program for usb

since i only need to read images from usb, so i have to make only reciever
can u suggest how it will work since comm. is done serially

USB Controllers are very very complicated. I suggest you use an IP sourced from elsehwere. I suggest looking at www.opencores.org

since i only need to read images from usb, so i have to make only reciever
The statement suggests that you should start to get a basic understanding how usb works. No USB device or host is reading or writing only.

The supposed "read images from usb" needs clarification, too. You could e.g. implement an USB host that can read data from a mass storage device (USB pen drive). Or a device interface, that receives the data from a computer. Different USB device classes can be considered.

If you are just looking for a method to send test data to an image processing project, there are probably simpler methods than USB available. If you have a development board, it's also a good idea to study the demonstration projects shipped with it. There may be already something useful to transmit image data.

Reactions: Robin Khosla

Robin Khosla

V

Status
Not open for further replies.