Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Reactance of Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasPreetam

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Okay now here's a very basic question, but I really need to clear up my concept in this topic..

As we know, the reactance of a capacitor is given by the formula 1/2Πfc where f=frequency and c=capacitance. Then for a 220V 50Hz supply, reactance offered by 1 nF capacitor = 3183 KΩ. Now assuming the resistance of the wire is zero, then impedance of the circuit =3183 KΩ. Then Current = 0.01 mA.

My question is... will we experience an electric shock when we come in contact with this circuit ? Sine the current is very less (0.01 mA), I am assuming we will not experience an electric shock. Am I right or wrong ? If wrong, then why ?

...the current is very less (0.01 mA), I am assuming we will not experience an electric shock. Am I right or wrong ?

Considering that our body can be modeled as an electric circuit, surely is expected experience some discomfort sensation, which may vary from a person to another.

The Human Body Model for capacitance, as defined by the Electrostatic Discharge Association (ESDA) is a 100pF capacitor in series with a 1.5kΩ resistor
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_capacitance

+++

Okay so the human body can be modeled as an RC circuit which is in series with the given circuit. Do we use this phenomena in electric line testers (Those screwdriver like things with a glowing bulb) ? We need to touch the clip or the metal end of those testers while barefooted but still doesn't experience a shock. Why is this so ?

(Those screwdriver like things with a glowing bulb) ? We need to touch the clip or the metal end of those testers while barefooted but still doesn't experience a shock. Why is this so ?
The current is too small to give you a noticable shock.

When you touch one wire of the neon tester to the live electrical wire and hold its other wire in your salty wet hand:

1) Are you barefooted and are standing on an insulator?
OR
2) Are you barefooted with salty wet feet and are standing on a grounded piece of metal?

Which one gives a nice big shock?

A neon screwdriver typically has a resistor of 200K or more inside it so it limits the current much more than the capacitor you mentioned. Also, a neon lamp drops quite a lot of voltage and only needs a tiny current to operate. Often the capcaitance of a body to ground is sufficent to pass enough current for them to glow.

Brian.

Okay, many many thanks to all of you ! My concept has been cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back