Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re: telephone cable voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelled01

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

There is around 50 volts DC on the line when the phone is on the hook.
When off the hook there is about 10 volts DC.
When ringing or dial there is a high voltage AC signal on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

you are absolutely right

I suggest reading book/ebook "Understanding Telephone Electronics" by Stephen J. Bigelow, Joseph J. Carr, Steve Winder - Fourth Edition.

;-)

Just adding to the basic question, there is CLI data during in the start of ring signal. And you can hook up some white LEDs connected in series to the telephone line for a free of charge night lamp, without putting line on hold.
9243885800_1358073701.jpg

4783718900_1358073856.jpg

I dont suggest any additional load on phone line, specially if is modern digital telephone centrale. Self monitoring and diagnostics system can automaticlly disconnect phone line until further notice, and wait intervention of telecom service personnel.

I know that earlier people charge batteries, power car bulb 21W to light room,... and other similar things, but I think that phone line should stay only for that purpose.

Telecom request on phone line to use only certified devices.

I also use my various DIY devices on phone lines on longer period without problems, but caution does not hurt.

I'm sorry to say that the original post was not a request for help but intended to reply in an old thread (dated 2004!) https://www.edaboard.com/threads/22907/#post1187642

- - - Updated - - -

And having just opened the link that FvM has posted I see that he already found that thread

When ringing or **broken link removed** there is a high voltage AC signal on the line.
Yes, I learned that the hard way as a youngster, fooling around with the wiring when the phone rang - quite a shocking experience!8-O

('scuse the bad pun. :oops:)

- - - Updated - - -

Hang on - why is there a link to an advert on the word "dial" in the first post - is this just spam?

Hang on - why is there a link to an advert on the word "dial" in the first post - is this just spam?

Good catch, I'll edit the post and delete the post in the other thread.
Everybody, say byeeeee to the OP :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.