Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re: Designing antenna matching circuit - newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubeng

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
antenna matching circuit

In fact here is the sonnet design file I'm using for the murata footprint

50 ohms matching cuircuit for gsm modules

Now that is odd - my first post seems to have disappeared so I'll retype my question.

I'm designing a PCB with a GSM modem and a ceramic chip antenna. The modem connects to the PCB via a 50ohm cable assembly and a Murata RF cable connector mounted on the PCB. From the murata connector the antenna tech spec says I need a 50 ohm coplanar transmission line to the antenna pad using a short microstrip.

No my problem is that I'm trying to use SonnetLite to design the microstrip however when I enter the recommended murata connector footprint by itself into sonnet on a 1mm thick FR4 material with copper metal conductors, and calculate
it's characteristic impedance at 1-2GHz using a 3 port configuration consisting
of (1) ground (2) antenna feed point (3) cable connection point, the magnitude
of the characteristic impedance of port 2 is about 130 ohms and of port 3 is about 90 ohms. I assume the characteristic impedance of the manufacturer's recommended footprint should be 50 ohms so I guess I must be doing something wrong. I can achieve a 50ohm impedance but using a very different geometry from the recommended one.

I guess when I add the microstrip itself to connect to the antenna feed point the
total imedance will radically change anyway but I'm not sure whether I should design it to have 50ohms impedance on port 2 or 3. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back