Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Random problem in Verilog..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelydonut

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way to seed the random function so every time the simulation is run a different set of random numbers is generated?

Everytime i run my testbench its generating the same random numbers everytime.. I tried to see if i could seed it with the system time somehow.. but am unable to find any info on it..

jelydonut

Random numbers are not truely random of course we all know that but you can use random generators for random time, you may use the Galios Function as a generator,

I'm assuming that you can't create different random numbers each time you run a simulation.. so i guess all i can do is pass in a seed and just use a different seed for different task calls in the bench.. does that sound like a safe assumption?

this way it easily creates reproducability but does not really create a random result each time a task is called..

jelydonut

in test bench you can do an asychronous seq. network with a random time delays "from random function" this way you may get a partially random results.
however your proposal seems O.K and will need less time.

Im not sure what you mean by a async seq. network..

Also, if the time delays are done from the random function wouldn't the time delays be identical every simulation run?

jelydonut

another technique is to use a random file to seed your random generator, I upload you a m-file that might help, of course you will need to run this m file every time before simulation, just to get various simulation results each time you run simulation. 'script it'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back