Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Random DC Voltage Source Simulation help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdtanvir100

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I am trying to simulate mismatch in a 10 bit D/A converter and unfortunately my PDK does not support Monte Carlo Simulation.

At least to simulate the threshold voltage mismatch I am trying to create a voltage source or a set of voltage sources which will generate random voltage each time I run the transient simulation in Cadence Spectre ADE.

Then I can connect the bias node to the random dc source and then to the gate of the current source to observe the threshold voltage effect.

It is a bit urgent for me to come up with the idea to do this. It would be great if you could advice me how can I do this in Cadence or by using Verilog A?

Regards,
Tanvir

You won't need random values for this type of simulation. Just use ± worst case values, and may be a few in between. Assign a parameter value to this/these voltage source(s), and change it/them via .ALTER commands.

Dear Erikl,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I am noy familiar with Hspice. I am in a bit with time constraint and unable to explore Hspice.

Would you please tell me is there anything else in your mind ? May be with Verilog A?

Any kind of advice is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tanvir

See whether your simulator supports gauss() and
track() functions (the former, uncorrelated pseudo-
random; the latter, for correlated VT w/ process &
mismatches etc.).

If no, then consider something like simply inserting
voltage sources in series w/ gates, simple variables
that can be messed around in a nested loop-set to
bound, if not statistically model, the endpoints of
mismatch induced error.