Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RAM/FF inferrention in ISE. Why not RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiiiii

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
info:xst:738 -

I'm workin with Verilog and using ISE Compiler. My problem is RAM inferrention for a signal. ISE is impementing my signal in FF and I don't know why. The code:
Code:
reg		[31:0] 	ct_tab_start_next_n		[7:0];

always@(posedgeCLK)											
	      if (ag_start)                ct_tab_start_next_n [ct_dev_num]<= ag_secend_n;					
	 else if (ag_go_to_next_block_addr)ct_tab_start_next_n [ct_dev_num]	<= ag_start_block_n_addr;
	 else if (ag_go_to_next_block_n)   ct_tab_start_next_n [ct_dev_num]	<= ag_next_n;
	 else if (ag_go_to_next_block_m)   ct_tab_start_next_n [ct_dev_num]	<= ag_next_m;
I got this advise:
Code:
INFO:Xst:738 - HDL ADVISOR - 256 flip-flops were inferred for signal <ct_tab_start_next_n>. You may be trying to describe a RAM in a way that is incompatible with block and distributed RAM resources available on Xilinx devices, or with a specific template that is not supported. Please review th...
As you can see, compiler think that ct_tab_start_next_n is not defined properly for RAM implementation, where I don't see why! Can it be the matter of ISE (I know that it is not fault free)?

post signal ff?

or with a specific template that is not supported. Please review th...

Try to rewrite your code as two independent parts: multiplexer for input data and storage to RAM.
Also check that you don't use reset for signal ct_tab_start_next_n.

jsiiiii

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
alexadmin said:
Try to rewrite your code as two independent parts: multiplexer for input data and storage to RAM.
Also check that you don't use reset for signal ct_tab_start_next_n.

You are right, I needed to write a mux for input data. Thx for your advise! In other part of the project I'm using different addresses signal, so I needed too define another mux for addr too and one for write_enable signal:
Code:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
wire		ct_tab_slv_activ_enable	=
			(!ep_enable							)||
			(msr_state == MSR_CNC_SLV			)||
			(msr_state == MSR_DISCNC_SLV		)||
			(slv_state == SLV_CNC				);
wire		ct_tab_slv_activ_data	=
			(!ep_enable							)?1'h0							:
			(msr_state == MSR_CNC_SLV			)?1'b1							: 		MSR_BIND_REQ
			(msr_state == MSR_DISCNC_SLV		)?1'b0							: 		
			(slv_state == SLV_CNC				)?((slv0_ans)? 1'b1 : 1'b0)		:1'b0; 	
wire [2:0]	ct_tab_slv_activ_number	=
			(!ep_enable							)?start_cnt						:
			(msr_state == MSR_CNC_SLV			)?ct_tab_first_slv_free			: 		
			(msr_state == MSR_DISCNC_SLV		)?slv_bind_dev_num				: 		
			(slv_state == SLV_CNC				)?slv_dev_num					:slv_dev_num; 	

always@(posedge CLK)
 if(ct_tab_slv_activ_enable)	ct_tab_slv_activ[ct_tab_slv_activ_number]	<=	ct_tab_slv_activ_data;
Without any of this 3 mux's ISE didn't manage to make a RAM.
Thx once more:)
JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back