Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

radio AM/FM reciever in FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
radio amator design

is it possible? I'd like to have the code to experiment.

fm receiver opencores

AM and FM are analog modulation techniques , Needs analog hardware to demodulate .. which is not available in FGPAs.. May be u can try FPAA ( Field programmable analog array)

regards

zero crossing fpga opencore

It's POSSIBLE!
Perhaps you heard about Software Defined Radio, or SDR, which suggests that use digital devices in radio facilities as much as possible. But you still have to design some analog parts: RF front-end, and baseband signal amplifer.
1) RF front-end, an high-speed ADC is used to sample and quantize the analog signal received from antenna into digital signals
2) Send digital signals into FPGA/CPLD, which contains the AM/FM demodulation implementation to obtain demodulated baseband digital signal.
3) Use a baseband DAC to reconstruct analog baseband signal.
4) Amplify analog baseband signal with a power amplifier to drive a earphone or speaker.

Some reference can be find in books about DSP, SDR, and Signals & Systems.

Hope the above is useful!

fm receiver on fpga

Altera, Xilinx, Synplicity Synplify DSP with Matlab and Simulink can be used.

gnuradio

I think the SDR will reduce the speed of ratio. and in fact, the key parts are still made by analoge circuit. if we handle the radio in software, it will slow maybe.

fpga using fm projects

cevitamic said:
It's POSSIBLE!
Perhaps you heard about Software Defined Radio, or SDR, which suggests that use digital devices in radio facilities as much as possible. But you still have to design some analog parts: RF front-end, and baseband signal amplifer.

Hi Cevitamic,
i agree with Whizkid's opinino.Analog demodulation schemes cannot be realized using an FPGA, and u need a FPAA for that.

you can realize any ASK/PSK/FSK or QAM (which is combination of ASK/PSK) through an FPGA for an SDR module. But AM/FM are purely analog modulation schemes, so even if u use a front end ADC, its not possible to implement the receiver in an FPGA.

Hi David,
If u r planning to make an ASK/FSK/PSK then FPGA is a good target device for that.you can easily implement those in a xilinx fpga using simulink blocksets, with the availability of a new tool called "System Generator"

fpga based am fm ssb demodulator

Renjith said:
cevitamic said:
It's POSSIBLE!

Hi Cevitamic,
i agree with Whizkid's opinino.Analog demodulation schemes cannot be realized using an FPGA, and u need a FPAA for that.

you can realize any ASK/PSK/FSK or QAM (which is combination of ASK/PSK) through an FPGA for an SDR module. But AM/FM are purely analog modulation schemes, so even if u use a front end ADC, its not possible to implement the receiver in an FPGA.

Hi David,
If u r planning to make an ASK/FSK/PSK then FPGA is a good target device for that.you can easily implement those in a xilinx fpga using simulink blocksets, with the availability of a new tool called "System Generator"

Hi Renjith,

I still insist my opinion. The following are my reasons:

1) You may know the famous "passband sampling theory". Its main idea is that for a given bandwidth limited passband signal, you can sample the passband filtered signal with a specific sampling frequency (actually, there is a range of available sampling frequency) to get a discrete-time signal, which can be reconstructed by a filter. That means the analog signal can be represented by the discrete0time signal. So any manipulation onto the analog signal can also be done onto the digital signal with corresponding digital method.

2) It's possible to implement such a AM/FM receiver based on DSP and a few analog blocks, such as ADC/DAC and filters. There're some books about this kind of topic. Some application notes can be found from the DSP vendors. As DSP is purely digital device, and its functional could be implemented within FPGA, so I believe it's possible.

Finally, I've very happy to have a discussion with you, and perhaps we can exchange our viewpoints more detaily.

arif simple fm receiver

Hi,
Take a look at these pages:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

This is a good one at:
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio

**broken link removed**

8 years ago, I was part of a design team at Ericsson in Sweden when we designed a SDR for NMT, GSM, TACS, AMDS and DAMPS in exactly the same way the articles describe it.

It wasn't cheap, and with that technology, the unit was using 16 DSPs, 4 FPGAs, 2 62.5MHz ADC and 2 62.5MHz DAC plus one signel analog modulaiton board. It worked perfectly and we mannaged to even use it as a SSB receiver for one of our guys who was a Radio Amator and crazy about the digtal possibilities of using left over boards for his home design. Compare to that, the design abive is a great bargain.

So it is doable, the problem if it is it is worth it?!

Cheers,
/Farhad

fm receiver fpga

if you add a ADC before FPGA to convert analog AM/FM signal into digital format,

thenyou can use digital demodulation method to process them.

best regards

david90 said:
is it possible? I'd like to have the code to experiment.

fm differentiator simulink

what u said is realizable ,but you should use A/D converter to digitize your AM/FM signals. then you can use FPGA to demodulate them digitally.

fpga sdr fm

u can put adc before the modulated signal then using some dsp techniques u can demodulate it fm or am.

for fm u can use zero crossing but it will be effected by noise.
also u can use differentiator.

damps gnuradio

I think you can use cordic arithmetic!
it is easy to implement it with FPGAs!

fpga fm projects

ganlubbq said:
I think you can use cordic arithmetic!
it is easy to implement it with FPGAs!

Can you give me some more information; I am also try to make an FM reciever in an FPGA. You put an ADC before the FPGA and how can you then work with cordic arithmetic??? can you give me some more information?

thanks in advance.

opencores fsk

Did someone make some progress in this topic?

thanks!

fm reciever

Take at look at the simple FM reciever in the opencores.org for an example.

I believe FM data extraction can be done in digital, several techniques can be used.
But in general you will need a front end reciever "amplifier, mixer and a PLL" to downconversion process afterwards you may extract data with appropriate technique for example if you have a large fc/B ratio you may only use a limiter rather than using a ADC, yet what I am asking if it is economicaly acceptable to do an FM reciever on FPGA ?

bibo1978 said:
I believe FM data extraction can be done in digital, several techniques can be used.
But in general you will need a front end reciever "amplifier, mixer and a PLL" to downconversion process afterwards you may extract data with appropriate technique for example if you have a large fc/B ratio you may only use a limiter rather than using a ADC, yet what I am asking if it is economicaly acceptable to do an FM reciever on FPGA ?

I don't know if it is economically acceptable but I need it for doing some research.

thanks for your reaction

checkout in opencores.org i think i have seen some projects related to this topic

**broken link removed**

Simple FM Receiver: Overview

Details
Name: simple_fm_receiver
Created: 03-Jan-2005 08:33:23
Updated: 29-Mar-2005 07:03:20
CVS: browse

Other project properties

Category :: Other
Language :: VHDL
Phaze :: FPGA proven
Development status :: Production/Stable

Project maintainers

Arif E. Nugroho

Simple FM Receiver

Simple implementation of FM Receiver to demodulate square wave signal modulated
in FM. This design uses PLL to demodulate FM modulated signal.

Features

Synthesizable
This design can be synthesize using Xilinx 6.3i
This design also can be synthesize using Alliance 5.0 not fully tested.
Simple
Use it to understand PLL to see how FM Receiver works.
Good for introduction in design process.
Modular design, can be use for other design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back