Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions regarding BSIM4.5 capacitance like Cds, Cgd and Cgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Liao

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Questions regarding capacitance calculation of Cgs in Spectre Simulatior

I run simulation using Spectre with BSIM 4.5 model . Once the simulation finished I do a print DC to print all like Cds, Cgd and Cgs capacitance. I try to know how do those values come? Are they from model file or the equation inside the Spectre simulator?

My experiment of DC Print. I have attached my value here .
Code:
 Post-layout simulation DC Print
Cgs            Cgd        Cds
-9.072f     -2.943f     13.08a
The following attached is the Spectre manual.
cap3.png
My question comes here:
1.Why the naming is so wired, only the last one, cdb, is for intrinsic and the rest are for total?
2.Why we have negative value for capacitance?
capex.png
3.Why Cgb is not equal to Cbg? The capacitance between two nodes should be the same regardless of the direction of describing it.

I also did another experiment. I deliberately modify my layout and then extract and run simulation.
I made simulation on new extracted calibre view. I found the final cgs, cgd and cds did not change a bit.

Here questions arise:
4. Since Cgs is the total effect why it did not change in my DC print table due to my modification on layout? It should reflect the partial effects of what I have deliberately modified.

Using what kind of equation does the Simulator calculate the Cgs and present it in the DC Print Table?

It is highly appreciated that you can share your knowledge here even you are able to solve part of my questions.
Thanks,

Last edited:

Hi, Alex Liao,

I guess almost every spectre user gets this doubt. Did you get it answered. If yes, kindly help me with it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.