Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions from a student about to start Grad. school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumT

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I just graduated with a B.S. in physics. In the fall I will be starting on my M.S. degree in applied science with an emphases on mechatronics & robotics. The only formal electronics classes I have had that dealt with electronics were: university physics 1&2 (kerkholf’s law, ohm’s law, etc.), digital electronics (basic digital circuits, VHDL). On my own I have gotten pretty familiar Pic microcontrollers (the 16fXX series. I’ve been using PicBasic Pro language for about a year and just started learning assembly, for the Pics. Sence its summer I have a little more time to learn some new things that might be helpful in the future. So I guess my question is what should I work on? I will admit that my weak area is the computer science aspect of these fields so what language should I start learning? VB?

Thank you very much for your input,
Jay

vb is easy and do a lots of things for u in a very simple way. also try to learn C or VC++. do get some more knowledge of microcontrollers and embedded softwares. try to learn using ports of the PC using C. simply u need to know how to handle the ports and some stuff about the architecture of some processor like motorola etc. so that u feel convenient using any microcontroller understanding its architecture

I think you should learn C / C++ rather than VB.
It is used for both windows and embedded programming, for example for PIC's.
It is the most common high level programming langauge.

Btw. what is Kerkholf’s law?
I know Kirchoff's law, but I don't think I know Kerkholf’s law.

I agree with the others about learning C/C++ , But I think learning
MatLab (if you don't already know it) might be beneficial. MatLab is very flexible (Physic, EE, DSP...) and there are a lot of books that use MatLab to teach the subject, and it's very easy to learn. I don't know "PIC" / Embedded
type stuff you can do with it, but you can look that up at their support page:

https://www.mathworks.com/support/

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadCategory.do

Good luck in School

Hi,

If you want to use your new language both programming mcu and writing windows programs, try to learn Borland C++ Builder, it is the easiest way to write proggies for windows and also you'll learn c++.
Visit : www.borland.com and www.torry.net ;)

Analyzer

I think you MUST ( not an option ! ) to learn C/C++ & MATLAB. C++ importance doesn't need emphasis . MATLAB will make you a very effective man within a small time span related to C++ for example . But not a substitute in my opinion . MATLAB also will help you in controlling ports & programming DSP in a simple & quick manner. Also using SIMULINK in michatronics will make things easy . (N.B. : I don't work for MathWorks , but I love MATLAB much)

Assembely is very good indeed to learn & will help you much . VHDL may not be so imprtant to master in your field , knowing it will be very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back