Questions from a student about to start Grad. school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumT

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I just graduated with a B.S. in physics. In the fall I will be starting on my M.S. degree in applied science with an emphases on mechatronics & robotics. The only formal electronics classes I have had that dealt with electronics were: university physics 1&2 (kerkholf’s law, ohm’s law, etc.), digital electronics (basic digital circuits, VHDL). On my own I have gotten pretty familiar Pic microcontrollers (the 16fXX series. I’ve been using PicBasic Pro language for about a year and just started learning assembly, for the Pics. Sence its summer I have a little more time to learn some new things that might be helpful in the future. So I guess my question is what should I work on? I will admit that my weak area is the computer science aspect of these fields so what language should I start learning? VB?

Thank you very much for your input,
Jay

vb is easy and do a lots of things for u in a very simple way. also try to learn C or VC++. do get some more knowledge of microcontrollers and embedded softwares. try to learn using ports of the PC using C. simply u need to know how to handle the ports and some stuff about the architecture of some processor like motorola etc. so that u feel convenient using any microcontroller understanding its architecture

I think you should learn C / C++ rather than VB.
It is used for both windows and embedded programming, for example for PIC's.
It is the most common high level programming langauge.

Btw. what is Kerkholf’s law?
I know Kirchoff's law, but I don't think I know Kerkholf’s law.

I agree with the others about learning C/C++ , But I think learning
MatLab (if you don't already know it) might be beneficial. MatLab is very flexible (Physic, EE, DSP...) and there are a lot of books that use MatLab to teach the subject, and it's very easy to learn. I don't know "PIC" / Embedded
type stuff you can do with it, but you can look that up at their support page:

https://www.mathworks.com/support/

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadCategory.do

Good luck in School

Hi,

If you want to use your new language both programming mcu and writing windows programs, try to learn Borland C++ Builder, it is the easiest way to write proggies for windows and also you'll learn c++.
Visit : www.borland.com and www.torry.net

Analyzer

I think you MUST ( not an option ! ) to learn C/C++ & MATLAB. C++ importance doesn't need emphasis . MATLAB will make you a very effective man within a small time span related to C++ for example . But not a substitute in my opinion . MATLAB also will help you in controlling ports & programming DSP in a simple & quick manner. Also using SIMULINK in michatronics will make things easy . (N.B. : I don't work for MathWorks , but I love MATLAB much)

Assembely is very good indeed to learn & will help you much . VHDL may not be so imprtant to master in your field , knowing it will be very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…