Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions concerning Arduino - please share your opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nora

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
arduino dsp

I've never used an Arduino, only PIC and Motorola DSP with their respective $$, but highly useful compilers.
It seems like Arduino is easy and cheap- $30 for protoboard and FREE compiler.

I have observed that it is considered too basic for engineers and engineering students. I'm guessing that Arduino is a step up from Lego Mindstorms and the Basic Stamp, but I've never used any of these.
I can see that there may be limitations, but it is fuzzy to me as to what these are.

Can anyone discuss? I'd like to use the Arduino to make a kit.
Nora

Arduino

Many PIC compilers have free editions. C18 for example has a free student edition with only optimizations disabled. Since you can program hundreds of different PICs and with a hardware debugger like the PICkit2 or my Junebug make it superior to the Arduino IMO.

Re: Arduino

I like the Junebug kit, nice job! I like the CA flag on the PCB too. And the use of Sketchup :) Super!
But do you still have to pay for the compiler?
I use the CCS compiler and it is $350 so you can see how using an Arduino is appealing... I just want to make a simple PID trainer kit.
Nora

Status
Not open for further replies.