Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about the working of Mosfet for switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

movie_freak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
p channel mosfet switch

I am confused regarding the working of mosfet for switching:

till now what i completely understand is:

Case 1:
https://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/scen103/mos4.html

Case 2:
https://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/scen103/mos5.html

From above case two is in low-side switch configuration and case one is in high-side.

I thought that n-channel is used as high-side switch and p-channel for low-side switch..

but i later found out on google that n-channel can also be used for low-side and p-channel for high-side. This created confusions and questions..

Guys pls bare with me.. my questions can be silly cause i don't have much knowledge regarding this..
here they go:
--> Is it true that p/n type can work in both high/low configuration..
--> If both can work in both configurations why do we have two seperate mosfets..
(if this is the case the only difference that i know is the resistance provided)
--> Is there any changes or certain elements that needs to be added to a particular p/n type to work in certain high/low configuration or nothing matter any mosfet can be used in any configuration as it is..
--> Why do we need a drive to work Mosfets in H-Bridge configuration, otherwise i saw my mosfet's being burnt..

Many Thanks,
Surya

mosfet switching

In an ideal world you would have a p channel in the high side and an n channel in the low side of a bridge. The most common configuration is an n channel in both the high side and the low side. This is because n channel mosfets are more abundant and cheaper than p channel mosfets. To drive the high side mosfet, you would normally use a driver chip. These incorperate a diode capacitor bootstrap circuit to generate the voltage required to drive the high side mosfet.
The best place for information on this is to visit a manufacturer of driver chips, such as IR. They have a lot of application notes and circuits for you to use.

p channel mosfet switching

good info.. Thanks buddy..!!

I'll try to gather more info regarding the driver now..!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.