Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about migration from multimode to single mode fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanMco

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all!

In my company we are using custom measurement systems with multimode fiber optic transmitters and receivers for synchronization between different devices. We are thinking of migrating our multimode fiber optic technology to single mode to extend the reach to 20 km. The problem is that I have certain doubts about the single-mode fiber technology.

At the moment, our synchronization system consist of emitting synchronous pulses through the optical line from a base generator, and receiving and replicating said pulses from first equipment on the line to the next ones, cascade connection. The pulse synchronization system has the following characteristics:

- Type of fiber = Multimode 62.5 / 125 um
- Wavelength = 850 nm
- Optical power = 0.17 mW (for 1 m fiber)
- Front delay < 5 ns
- Pulse duration = 40 ms
- Pulse Distortion <1 ns
- Reach = 2.5 km

Therefore, I want to migrate this multimode system to a single-mode in which to reach distances of optical fiber of synchronization up to 20 km., but I have some questions about the operation in this new line of fiber:

- Will our synchronism methodology continue to be compatible with this kind of pulses? I need to know if at such distances this kind of sync pulses suffers some distortion or deterioration. I know that the new pulse generated on single-mode fiber will have different characteristics but I am concerned about possible phenomena that may interfere with the operation.

- In any case, could I implement a system of synchronism using a bit string, for example?

- What type of optical transmitter and receiver can I use? I have seen some single-mode fiber optic transducers with wavelength of 1310 nm that manage to transmit at 30-40 km. Are there other options? Some kind of Laser emitter/receiver?

- Do you know some good evaluation kit for this technology?

Would appreciate If someone can give me some help.

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Read this link on the description of the two: **broken link removed**

Which verifies what I remember about the two. Single mode fiber and the electronics to drive it are more expensive than multi-mode. The reason single mode is for longer haul transmission is due to less distortion, so pulses will be less distorted not more distorted on single mode fiber (unless you exceed the maximum range).

Here is a cost comparison by a blogger between the two. https://opticalfiberalsa.over-blog.com/2017/03/cost-comparison-single-mode-vs.multimode-fiber-optics.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back