Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm implementing a PCM2706 in an audio amplifier that I'm designing. I've read through the datasheet and I think I've figured most of it out, but it's the part regarding 'device descriptors' that I'm a little stuck with. The datasheet says the following:

The datasheet doesn't say anything about what this 'external ROM' actually is. This application also has a MCU, I would like the MCU to transfer the device descriptors to the PCM2706, but I don't know how to do it. Is the MCU or PCM2706 master? In order to modify these descriptors, does the application require that the PCM2706 is self powered, so that the descriptors has already been transferred before the USB connection is made?

The datasheet doesn't say anything about what this 'external ROM' actually is.
It does say something. The chip expects an I2C serial ROM (EEPROM) with address 0xA0 holding at least 57 bytes. I would expect that a small serial I2C EEPROM like M24C01 works here.

- - - Updated - - -

Figure 33 shows a bus powered configuration with ROM option, apparently there's no problem to use it.

How does the PCM know the I2C address for an EEPROM like the M24C01?

Fortunately 0xA0 is established as standard address for I2C EEPROM. I admit that the datasheet could be clearer and should e.g. mention explicitly supported memory devices. There may be additional documentation.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a TI E2E discussion clarifying that only small memories with single address byte (I suppose M24C01 - M24C16) are supported. https://e2e.ti.com/support/audio/f/6/p/712544/2626589

Status
Not open for further replies.