Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on SAW filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcyin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all,

There is a performance parameter called maximum input power level of the SAW filter, I am wondering that if the input power exceeds this value, then what will happen to the SAW filter? will it be broken?

thanks in advance.

That begs the question .... How much RF power did you fed into it ? sounds like you were almost admitting that thats what you have done ;)

it would appear ... looking at a few data sheets ... that the 15 - 20dBm is a common max power level. I would suspect if you seriously exceeded that level that the filter could be physically damaged ie. it might ***** the substrate/ceramic

Dave

did some one edit that ? did I accidentally say a word I didnt intend for public print ?
oops sorry if so

Last edited:
Reactions: abcyin

abcyin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
They have very fine metal fingers deposited onto the saw material. So if you exceed the RF input voltage you can either vaporize the fingers, or screw up the contact metal-to-saw material.

That said, the data sheet rating is probably for long term exposure. If you accidentally over powered the input for a few seconds, it probably survived. If you left the power on continuously for a while, it might have degraded the fingers.

Some researchy type saws (like the type deliberately made for low phase noise oscillators) have beefier fingers to handle much more RF power (see Leeson's equation!).

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: abcyin

abcyin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back