Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question humidity, silica gel and ziplock bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

John rodrigues

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Currently I keep some electronic devices (snes cartridges) inside boxes and in a semi-open anti-static bag but I'm not using any moisture protection silica gel, I bought a ziplock bag and silica gel and I received them today, my doubt is if Do you need to use these devices before placing them in the ziplock bag with silica gel sache to expel moisture from the board?

Moisture makes the air conducting; with high humidity, there will be no static buildup.

But moisture condensation is not good; a film of water can crease havoc. When you take a closed bag containing humid air into a cooler place, the moisture will condense of the surface of bag (like your glasses gets fogged). You must avoid the liquid water forming on electronic components.

You do not need to use silica gel to keep the air dry; just wait for the bag to come to the room temp before you open the bag. Then there will be no condensation of moisture.

my electronics have been stored for months without silica gel in a closed box if i move these electronics into a ziplock bag with silica gel before putting the device in the bag do i need to use the device to warm up and expel moisture? the condensed moisture that is on the plate is absorbed by the silica gel that is inside the same zip bag?

Why are you so concerned about any moisture absorption of your electronics? Most electronics products state they can operate in environments with 70% humidity.

Keeping electronic parts from absorbing moisture is an issue where you are planing on performing soldering or reflow on the parts as the absorbed moisture will immediately vaporize and will likely damage the part. Hence parts that have been in storage for a while without desiccant used will be baked to remove moisture before being soldered to a board.

Unless you are planning on moving those SNES cartridges immediately between a warm high humidity location, e.g. stored in a bathroom next to a shower, to a heavily refrigerated location, e.g. right next to the AC vent, I doubt you would ever experience any condensation on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.