Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question for verilog experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b_kkn

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

According to my understating, all procedural blocks are running in parallel.

Please have a look at this simple verilog code. This is generating a clock and works fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
module test;
reg clk;

initial begin
clk=0;
end

always clk = #10 ~clk;

endmodule

Look at following code similar to above one but always block comes before initial black. with this code i get x in the clock line. What is the difference...
According to my understanding Initial and always blocks are running simultaneously it should not make any difference.
module test;
reg clk;

always clk = #10 ~clk;

initial begin
clk=0;
end

endmodule

Could any one help me to understand this issue?

Kind Regards.

All procedural blocks are exceuted in parallel specifies that when you wirte a synthesizable verilog or vhdl code it works in parallel. But the simulation software excecutes only sequentially.

i agree with sudhirkv.

but the fundamental issue here is the difference between

#10 clk = ~clk;

and

clk = #10 ~clk;

if you've usedthe former, then it does not matter where the initial block is, while the latter, as you've realized is more sensitive to it. i suggest you use the former for what you intend to do ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back