Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about using NPORT instance in Cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngox

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I've been trying to use NPORT instance in Cadence in order to try out some S-parameter files that I have. I cannot see anything wrong with the way I'm setting up the simulation but the resulting transfer functions I get after simulation are not correct at all. The S-parameter file I am using an actual .s4p taken directly from measurement so I don't think that should be an issue either. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

sparameter_question.png

The source which you have used is wrong.It's a AC source and cannot be used in s-parameter simulations.
You have to use "psin" or "port" element instead of it.These components have internal source impedance ( e.g. 50 Ohm by default) and you should define this component in s-parameter simulation setup ( if you do 1-Port s-parameter simulation, you should add this in port definition).
In additional to, you may use "psin" or "port" element for other ports and if you add these elements in s-parameter simulation setup, you can do 4-Ports s-parameter simulation without adding extra resistors.
Ports2.PNGPorts.PNG

Last edited:

The source which you have used is wrong.It's a AC source and cannot be used in s-parameter simulations.
You have to use "psin" or "port" element instead of it.These components have internal source impedance ( e.g. 50 Ohm by default) and you should define this component in s-parameter simulation setup ( if you do 1-Port s-parameter simulation, you should add this in port definition).
In additional to, you may use "psin" or "port" element for other ports and if you add these elements in s-parameter simulation setup, you can do 4-Ports s-parameter simulation without adding extra resistors.
View attachment 109262View attachment 109263

Thanks for responding. I tried to use psin as well as port but it still seems a bit weird when I plot the s-parameters. I ran the sim using sp and selected all 4 ports, and then tried plotting the results using the main form. I'm expecting at least one of these to have some kind of lossy profile as this is just s-parameter of backplane traces. None of these look right though.

sparameter_question2.pngsparameter_question3.png

Thanks for responding. I tried to use psin as well as port but it still seems a bit weird when I plot the s-parameters. I ran the sim using sp and selected all 4 ports, and then tried plotting the results using the main form. I'm expecting at least one of these to have some kind of lossy profile as this is just s-parameter of backplane traces. None of these look right though.
Have you checked the format of the s-parameters in dialog box of n-port component ??
Is it Touchstone ? If it's so, you should select Touchstone format in dialog box of n-port.
Your s-parameters may be so ?? Could you checked them with another simulator for instance ADS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back