Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about use of optocoupler 4N25

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGA

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
4n25 circuit

The question is about pin-6 of optocoupler that's the base of output transistor.
I'm studing a design in wich the base is not connected; I can't simulate it in Spice because I have an error in the netlist like "pin 6 is unconnected".
So, who can help me to understand why is it possible to connect out of the chip the base of transinstor; is not sufficient that the base is stimolated with the diode light?
Thanks in advance, Bga.

optocoupler 4n25

hi,

My understanding on this is that certain circuit simulators do not 'like' unconnected legs of components and certain other simulators simply do not care...
Those simulators that do not care on unconnected pins are programmed to terminate such pins automatically with a 10 or 100MegaOhm or even GigaOhm resistor to the common ground and solve this problem. You can do the same!

Regarding the base pin of the phototransistor, sometimes it is useful to access it for instance you can feed in some current into the base or take out current to modify the sensitivity and /or the linearity of the transistor wrt light.

rgds
unkarc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back