Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Poon

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all~

I have a question about transistor. I got a trasistor which indicate that the max. current of emitter is 1A. I connect it to a transfomer and the transfomer will "pull" about 1.2A at the primary stage when it is in action.
Obviously, the transistor will burn.

I would like to ask without changing the model of the transistor, is there any way to do it? (could I split the current by using 2 or 3 transistors connected in parallel? If I could, what is the detail of the connection?)

Thank you very much~

Maybe you can use a R-L circuit in serial between the transistor and the transformer, I'am not sure but I think we can.

An other solution, you can implement a current amplifier using these transistor. For the schematic, you can search in google with the key words "push - pull amplifier", there are a lot answers.

For a proper answer you must provide a schematic of your circuit.
Although, transistors can be parallelled provided an emmiter resistor is used for each one. The resistor is connected to the emitter and the other site of it is consider as the NEW emitter. This means that all collectors are connected together and so is for the base of all transistors. The NEW emitters are also connected together and a stronger transistor is created.
This is a general rule. Depending on your specific needs some minor modifications might be needed.

You say that your transistor is rated at 1amp. Most transistor data sheets give the maximum continuous collector current - DC.

You are connecting through a transformer to a circuit you say is drawing 1.2amps - is that current RMS, or peak? Is your load a continuous RMS 1.2 amps, or are you pulsing something? A transistor rated at 1amp continuous can handle more than 1amp for short periods. If your load is not a continous load, you may be OK with what you have.

As suggested above, more information about your circuit and application would help with answering your question.

The transistor is rated for 1A DC. But what about the max pulse current ? usually it is higher than DC value.

If your transistor is connected to a transformer you have to take into account both peak and continous current.

1.2 A is to be intended as the DC or peak value?

Status
Not open for further replies.