Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about the design of inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphire

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use an inverter as an sense amplifier. In order to have larger gain, I want to work the NMOS and PMOS in subthreshold region. But I don't want to lower the vdd voltage, since it would affect the output range directly.

My question is how can I achieve this while still not changing vdd level? Thanks!

An inverter is a digital type of circuit (both gates connected). Subthreshold operation is not a question of supply voltage. It depends on GS-overvoltage Vov=Vgs-Vth. This would mean a difficult bias voltage supply for both gate inputs, a high gain (as you state correctly), but also a very high output impedance, which in most cases can't be matched by the load, hence isn't useful then. So normally a current source load, a triode load, a source follower or a cascode stage is needed, and then it's not an inverter any more, but a single-stage amplifier.

To erikl:

Consider a simple inverter, if Vdd<=Vth+|Vtp|, then both NMOS and PMOS is working in subthreshold when the inverter is in transition. Therefore, we got higher gain (usually 2x or more) than above-threshold region, since in subthreshold the MOS is working like a BJT. Thermal voltage is much smaller than overdrive voltage. But if Vdd is lowered, the output range is also lowered, which is not good.

Right, sapphire,
I forgot this possibility. Anyway, you can't get much more gain than about 10, and this at a VDD of about 150mV, cf. p. 16-4, Fig. 16.2b of the E. Vittoz "Weak inversion ..." paper, referenced by oermens (above).

This IMHO only makes sense, if you use such an inverter within a sub_threshold CMOS Standard Cell Library, s. e.g. Eric A. Vittoz and Joyce Kwong "Digital Logic", Chapter 6 of Alice Wang et. al. "Sub-Threshold Design for Ultra Low-Power Systems", Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, NY 2006 .

erikl, at Vdd=150mV, the gain of inverter is about -2.3. As Vdd approaches 2-3 times thermal voltage, the gain is approaching -1. At such a low supply voltage, we can express its gain as -1/n*(exp(Vdd/2Vt) - 1), n is about 1.5, quoted from Rabaey's digital book.

But this equation is only valid for very low supply voltage. As Vdd is a little less than Vtn+|Vtp|, we need to account for DIBL effect, which affects the threshold voltage. So things become more complicated.

Anyway, I got simulated gain of inverter about -500 by using cascode structure and 3.3V mosfet. Vdd is 1V. However, I want to achieve 60 dB.

sapphire said:
Anyway, I got simulated gain of inverter about -500 by using cascode structure and 3.3V mosfet. Vdd is 1V. However, I want to achieve 60 dB.
54dB gain in one stage isn't bad at all! But - as I pointed out above - it isn't a simple inverter any more. ;-)

yeah, it's not a simple inverter. Thanks for your replies.

erikl said:
sapphire said:
54dB gain in one stage isn't bad at all! But - as I pointed out above - it isn't a simple inverter any more. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back