Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about RC osillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

janet

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what will happen if the initial value of each invetor look like this??

Last edited by a moderator:

The two inverters that have the same input and ouput levels will switch causing the structure to oscillate since the number of inverters is odd.

now,if the initial value of each invertor isn't logical right(just as the picture shown),will the osc operate at another frequency other than it's nominal frequency?

Ring oscillators are known to oscillate at a frequency determined by the total delay, after a transitional state, the circuit is supposed to reach this stable state. It may be difficult however, to estimate the duration of transitional state, it's a problem similar to analysis of metastability, I think.

janet

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have designed a invertor osc , it's nominal frequency is 2MHz,but when I first power off OSC,then power on it, it's frequency has the chance to be reach up to 6.xMHz.
I wonder whether the changing of initial valuve lead th this problem??because when it's pow off,it has uncertain initial value.

You see this in real operation, not a simulation? You get different, arbitrary frequencies?

P.S.: And stationary?

janet

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes, my design target is 2.3MHz, but test result is 6.XMHz.
And my RC OSC donot have definite initial value,so I doubt whether it's incorrect initial value lead to the bad result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back