Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about linear regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

banner

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need a clean 3.6 v supply. can i implement it with switching َAC/DC converter and a linear regulator? I mean does a linear regulator eliminate switching frequency completely?
thanks,

Dear banner
Hi
It is pretty simple , but how much current do you need ? and where is your problem accurately ? aren't you familiar with steps of design ? or perhaps you have problem to select a proper topology ? if you tell me a bit more explanation , i can help you as well .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

goldsmith, I don't understand why you ask all these questions each time someone makes a simple question.
He is simply asking how effective is a linear regulator in eliminating the switching noise when connected to the output of a switching power.

You can use a simple linear regulator along with a bypass capacitors[say 0.1 uF Ceramic type] to reduce switching noise.

Dear Alex
Hi
Ha ha ! when i ask for more explanations , it has a reason ! preventing from misunderstanding to get a best answer .
As i understood , he is looking for a way to achieve 3.6 volts with highest quality , and i don't think the switch mode regulators has noises ! because if we design a good filter for it's out put , it is impossible to have noises in out put . isn't it ?
Best Regards
Goldsmith

No matter how low noise switching regulator you design if you use a linear regulator at the output the noise will drop even more, wouldn't it?

Yes , the noise of linear regulators are pretty low , but he didn't mention that how much current needed . if he need high currents , i think SMPS would be more suitable . and it is the reason of why i asked for more explanations . when the original poster , said 3.6 volts , it is possible 3.6 volts 100 amperes ! or 100mA . if he give us exact information about his requirements , i think we can suggest a best way . isn't it ?
Respectfully
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.