Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Exclusive-OR (XOR) gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tqp13

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The problem states:
An Exclusive OR (XOR) operation is a 2 input operation whose output is 1 (True) if and only if exactly one of its inputs is 1 (True). Write the Truth Table and Boolean equation using only AND, OR and NOT for this operation.

I'm a little lost at what this problem is asking. I know that

x (XOR) y = x' * y + x* y'

Does anyone know what exactly is this problem asking? Could someone please help me and give me an example? I'm really lost and I would really appreciate it..

You gave the correct booelan equation. There are different notations for it of course, as a correct answer, an expression with AND, OR, NOT instead of * + ' may be expected. In addition, you should write down the truth table, showin the output for all possible (four) input combinations. That's all.

hi
you already wrote the boolean equation using AND, OR and NOT.

truth table is like:

x=0; y=1; x(XOR)y = 1
x=1; y=0; x(XOR)y = 1
x=0; y=0; x(XOR)y = 0
x=1; y=1; x(XOR)y = 0

From the above truthe table, the output x(XOR)y is '1' only for the first two equations.
x=0; y=1; x(XOR)y = 1
x=1; y=0; x(XOR)y = 1

so x(XOR)y = x' * y (from first condition) + x * y' (from second condition)

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.