Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Query: Power MOS in a LDO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo13

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ldo linear region

Hi All,
I have a small query, please help in sorting it out.
Is it a must to have the power mos of a linear regulator in saturation region.

e.g Vin=1.5V Vout=1.2V Iload=800mA

ldo +mos

Apollo13 said:
Hi All,
I have a small query, please help in sorting it out.
Is it a must to have the power mos of a linear regulator in saturation region.

e.g Vin=1.5V Vout=1.2V Iload=800mA

no it's not a must, but if you want to have good line rejection you have to ensure work in saturation region

NO must, but the Rdson must be meet your max loading current .i.e 800mA, to ensure not entering the dropout region. and ensure the excellent line regulation.

if the power device length <1um , the saturation area not the Vds>Vgs-Vth. you can simulation to get the really area.

The power MOS should not be in saturation; it should be in the linear region. You want as little drop as possible across the drain and source.

I agree with jutek. If you need good PSRR... etc, stay in saturation region. For dropout consideration, you should keep VGS-VT low.

The pass transistor has to be in saturation , i think. coz if it is not in saturation region and is in linear region then the pass transistor fails to maintain a constant voltage at the output.

it should not be in saturation region atleast at that will mean lot of VDS drop which u dont want in LDO.moreover try to operate it in weak inversion that will reduce ur VDS drop and provide useful gain.

Added after 14 seconds:

it should not be in saturation region atleast ,as that will mean lot of VDS drop which u dont want in LDO.moreover try to operate it in weak inversion that will reduce ur VDS drop and provide useful gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.