Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Queries regarding compensation of Voltage mode Buck

KashAMSD

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I was designing an Error Amplifier(Compensation) for Closed loop voltage mode Buck Converter taking a Texas Instrument document*(page 6,7,15,16,18,20,21) as a guide. I understood the design procedure and completed the design. But i had some questions that I needed clarifications of.

1. How can we determine whether we need a Type II or III compensation? What determines how much phase boost we need for a specific Buck Converter?
(I know that for about 90° phase boost we need Type II & for around 180° phase boost we need type III compensation. But the question remains, how do we know how much phase boost we need for a specific buck)

2. For all the Type I, II & III compensations, we need to place a pole at origin. We know, placing a pole at origin mitigates the steady state error. But a pole at origin also causes a system to go unstable. So, how come the close loop buck doesn't become unstable even if we have a pole at origin in the Error Amplifier?
1692614278256.png

3. Why do we need to set the 2nd pole of compensator at half of switching frequency?

1692614319164.png

*https://www.ti.com/seclit/ml/slup340/slup340.pdf

I'm new to the forum. I apologize for inconvenience and thanks in advance.

KashAMSD

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: