Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quantum physics in electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL_GATEL

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could you explain when would "general relativity" interact with "quantum physics" particularly which affecting semiconductor devices.

As I understand "general relativity" in in contradiction toward "quantum physics".

sorry I'm just so confused.

ALGATEL

AL_GATEL,

Could you explain when would "general relativity" interact with "quantum physics" particularly which affecting semiconductor devices.

As I understand "general relativity" in in contradiction toward "quantum physics".

sorry I'm just so confused.

Are you knowledgable about either subject? No? Then why are you worrying about it? Why not stick to the simple basics and master those things first before you concern yourself with more esoteric subjects?

Ratch

You can completely forget about General Relativity. Knowledge of this subject will not help you understand semiconductor devices. In fact the only technical application that I'm aware of where you have to be aware of General Relativity are GPS receivers, you have to make some small corrections due to GR.

Chipmunk,

The corrections for GPS navigation are made because of the finite speed of electromagnetic radiation, not because GR. If we knew nothing of GR, we would still be making those corrections. Scientists knew back in 1676 that the speed of light was finite.

Ratch

Chipmunk,

The corrections for GPS navigation are made because of the finite speed of electromagnetic radiation, not because GR. If we knew nothing of GR, we would still be making those corrections. Scientists knew back in 1676 that the speed of light was finite.

Ratch

That is not true. The correction for both General and Special relativity effects has to be made. The reason is that the satellite is orbiting at high speed and also the gravitational field strength at altitude about 20200 km is different from the one on the surface. It means that the time doesn't flow exactly the same comparing Earth surface and satellite orbit. So if you have two atomic clocks with exacly the same frequency at surface and put one inside of the satellite and than launch the satellite to its orbit, you will observe that the clock onboard is ticking at slightly different frequency. Since for GPS the precise timing is essential, this has to be taken into account. But the correction is only about 0.005 Hz

dot4,

I stand corrected.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back