Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [Q] LM350 output current

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrrah

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i just wanna ask, is it safe to use the output of LM350 regulator as power supply for PIC micro and other TTL devices?

i have read in the datasheet of LM350 that it's minimum output current is 3amp.. I have already build the supply with output voltage of 5v..but i'm afraid to try it knowing that it has 3amp current..

will it damage my PIC or other TTL devices?

You're misunderstanding the specifications. The device will supply up to 3A but will only supply the current that the load needs, no more. **broken link removed**

You can use a cheaper lm317 adjustable regulator for up to 1.5A max
or a fixed 78xx regulator for up to 1A, for example 7805 for 5v.
If your current requirement is higher then use LM350
or if you already have it i suppose it is cheaper to use it instead of buying another regulator.

Alex

thanks for the replies.. can i really use LM350 for my pic project? i'm still hesitant to use it.. i have a long LED message display here.. can you really guarantee that it would do no harm to my PIC micro?

There in no problem at all as long as you connect it properly,
the output has a max current of 3 amp but the load can use any amount up to that (your transformer must be able to give that current too).
Just set the two resistors correctly to get the output voltage you want, use a multimeter to verify the output voltage and then connect your circuit.

Alex

And where did you read about that minimum 3A current,
the datasheet says 3A output guaranteed and
current limit 3A miin to 4.5A typical , this is the min current at which the protection cuts the output not the minimum current you can use.

Alex

Reactions: cyrrah

cyrrah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i guess i just misunderstood the datasheet.. thanks for enlightening me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back