Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Purpose of LL101 diode used with ICL7660 in biasing circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lna-diode-ll101.png
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1513917.pdf
ICL7660 is a negative voltage generator,
LL101 is a small signall schottky diode.
I want to know why LL101 diode is used here...

1. to protect gate of FET from positive voltage?
2. ESD protection of FET gates?
3. something else?

The only thing I can think of is to prevent damage to the 7660 when the power is turned off. It is possible, although I wouldn't think likely, that the positive supply could couple throught the FETs to the output of the 7660. Other than that I can't see it ever conducts.

Brian.

I want to know why LL101 diode is used here...
The question presumes that the diode actually serves a purpose. You should also consider that it might be unnecessary.

ICL7660 has already a substrate diode which becomes forward biased when positive currents are fed to the output node. A schottky diode can be meaningful in cases when the current could cause latch-up. The 10k series resistor will prevent this safely.

Most likely, the author copied the diode from a different application without understanding it's purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.