Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Pure Sine wave Extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debdut

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a Ring Oscillator with oscillation frequency of 388 MHz. The output signal of the oscillator is not a pure sine wave. How can I extract the pure 388 MHz sinusoidal signal from the crowd of all the frequencies.

Below is a image showing the DFT of the output signal (simulated in Cadence)

I guess you need to filter the output. A high Q filter will boost the 388MHz fundamental as well as reducing the harmonics, allowing you to get a cleaner output for the same order filter.

Another way to reduce the distortion is to add the outputs from more than 1 of the inverters. E.g. if you have 5 inverters in the ring, you can add (or mix) the outputs from the 3'rd and 5'th inverters. This won't give a very big improvement, but it's simple and costs almost nothing.

Can you explain the concept of adding the outputs of the inverters ??

I have three inverter stages, what will I do?

If you add a square wave to a slightly delayed copy of itself, you get a staircase waveform that looks more like a sine wave. Delays up to about a quarter wave would be useul. I don't think this approach can be used if you only have three inverters, so you will need to use an analog filter.

Thank godfreyl for explaining !

Any tips for analog filter....

Maybe a simple LC filter? I don't know what the output's going to be connected to, how clean it has to be etc, so can't give any detailed recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back