Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse width of irregular wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holzapfel

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to inject pulse with different pulse width and height in to my adder circuit though carry_in, and record the height/width of pulse occurs at carry_out, and then build regression model... This is background.
I'm facing some troubles, in simulation I get a lot of responses like following figure, I'm wondering whether it is possible to do some approximations to calculate the pulse width for this wave?
1627387397953.png

Thanks a lot for help!
Regards,
Holz

Usually we understand a rectangular (really trapezoidal) shaped waveform as a pulse. If my understanding is correct, a pulse is having both a rising and a falling edge. A capacitor discharge (an exponential decay waveform) is not usually understood as a pulse. The rising edge is expected as a turn-on and the falling edge is expected as a turn-off signal to some device. Thus pulses are supposed to work in the digital environment but the "pulse" of your signal stumps me!

Usually we understand a rectangular (really trapezoidal) shaped waveform as a pulse. If my understanding is correct, a pulse is having both a rising and a falling edge. A capacitor discharge (an exponential decay waveform) is not usually understood as a pulse. The rising edge is expected as a turn-on and the falling edge is expected as a turn-off signal to some device. Thus pulses are supposed to work in the digital environment but the "pulse" of your signal stumps me!
Hi, thanks for reply. Yes I know this "pulse" is really irregular... and I'm now looking for how can I approximate this irregular wave into a square wave.

Hi,

it could help if you tell
* where the input signal comes from (to better understand it´s waveform)
* what the output is used for ( to decide a "rule" for the beginning and the end)

Klaus

Hi,

it could help if you tell
* where the input signal comes from (to better understand it´s waveform)
* what the output is used for ( to decide a "rule" for the beginning and the end)

Klaus
Hello,
the input wave is trapezoidal wave, rise time=30ps, fall time=30ps,plateau is 20ps,with amplitude=500m, it is the input signal of a 1bit adder's carry_in, so the pulse width of trapezoidal wave is 50ps.
The output as shown in the figure, is the wave occurs at carry_out. I need to record the amplitude/pulse width of carry_out, then with a sweep of plateau, I can get the model of how plateau affects amplitude/pulse width at carry_out, use this model when I extend the adder from 1bit to nbits to predict the amplitude/pulse width at carry_out_Nbits.
For begin and end, this is no special rule, since I just run transient simulation in virtuoso.
Thanks for help!

Holz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back