Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
self test
Taget Vdd Pass
Module Vpp Pass
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLR Vdd Pass
MCLR Vpp High

Power
Target Vdd 5.39
Target Vpp 13.74
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 13.66

what shall i do?

Your Vpp is too high for these devices, uncheck the "Power target from ICD2" checkbox in MPLAB for voltages other than 5v.

404n90i.jpg
40msfbd.jpg

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x141, read=0x0)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

folks said:
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

self test
Taget Vdd Pass
Module Vpp Pass
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLR Vdd Pass
MCLR Vpp High

Power
Target Vdd 5.39
Target Vpp 13.74
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 13.66

what shall i do?

Your Vpp is too high for these devices, uncheck the "Power target from ICD2" checkbox in MPLAB for voltages other than 5v.

I'm about to build the potyo's ICD2 v.2 (mdi's pcb) but I'm still no very sure because this matter about 3v3 devices (I'm planning to use them in a near future).
I've read almost all the topic and I still can't find a concrete answer. Does the potyos v2 ICD2 clone support 3v3 devices?? (PIC24 and dsPIC).
The only thing I've found is somebody who said that if you wanna program these devices you need to use an external 3v3 suply. Is this true? or maybe in recent versions this is made automatically? I'm pretty confused. I would appreciate a short explanation.

Sorry for my ignorance. And congratulations for this excelent project of course!!

P.D: I've also found a programmer surfing the net that looks EXACTLY like the PiCS (REV. C I guess) and they sell it for u$s89.9 . But the interesting thing is that they say that it supports dsPIC's and PIC24's. Does the PiCS rev C support these devices?...Maybe it's an improved version.

This is the web where they sell it. **broken link removed**

Thanks.

Does the potyos v2 ICD2 clone support 3v3 devices?? (PIC24 and dsPIC).
Yes 100%

You need to use an external 3v3 suply. Is this true?
Yes

Uncheck the "Power target from ICD2" checkbox in MPLAB for voltages 3.3V.

See the previous Images.

folks said:
Does the potyos v2 ICD2 clone support 3v3 devices?? (PIC24 and dsPIC).
Yes 100%

You need to use an external 3v3 suply. Is this true?
Yes

Uncheck the "Power target from ICD2" checkbox in MPLAB for voltages 3.3V.

See the previous Images.

Ok, thank you very much. I'd edited my last post before you posted, so take a look at it again. There are a few more questions.

It's really a pity not to implement something that automatically changes the suply.
I don't have any idea about the programing protocol, but, what happends if you change the suply voltage acording to the RA4 of the 16f877 (I've been looking the schematic and I think this is the pin that controls the suply thru a transistor, is this right?). Maybe we could use the state of this pin in order to switch automatically between 3v3 and the other voltage (is it 5v? I have no idea). Please correct me if I'm wrong. It'd be a good improvement if it's possible.

And now is time for the silly question: this 3v3 external suply, It has to be connected to the pcb? ..or I just connect it directly to my circuit (protoboard or icsp).

Thanks again

what happends if you change the suply voltage acording to the RA4 of the 16f877 (I've been looking the schematic and I think this is the pin that controls the suply thru a transistor, is this right?).
You can change the voltaje acording to the RA4 but you need a jumper to do this because sometimes actumatic interrup the Vdd when you ataches the icd2 or when you change the device and download the new firmware.

Maybe we could use the state of this pin in order to switch automatically between 3v3 and the other voltage (is it 5v? I have no idea). Please correct me if I'm wrong. It'd be a good improvement if it's possible.
Yes is wrong because the device is still with a VDD=3.3 when you ataches the icd2 or when you change the device and download the new firmware.

And now is time for the silly question: this 3v3 external suply, It has to be connected to the pcb? ..or I just connected directly to my circuit (protoboard or icsp).
I redesign my Potyo for supply 3.3 directly from the USB with a regulator and 1 jumper and I can connect directly to my circuit with a external supply or with the icd2-USB supply.
2gud4ox.jpg

I don't understand what you mean when you say "sometimes actumatic interrup the Vdd when you ataches the icd2 or when you change the device and download the new firmware".

But nevermind, I don't want to make such a fuss of that. Anyway, where are you from folks?, I think I've readed something in spanish written by you. (Are you from Spain?, Argentina? Uruguay? etc.). I'm asking you this because I'm from Argentina and I would appreciate if you can answer me some other "silly" questions but in private in order not to keep on writing about the same all over again. Also we could speak in spanish jeje.

Well, that's all. Probably I'll end up using that modification (the one you proposed). But maybe, who knows, we could improve this aspect of the ICD2.

Anyway, the question is still waiting to be answered by ANYONE: is there any way (or idea) to implement an automatic change between 5V or 3v3 ?. I really think it must be posible...

Thanks "Folks" for the help.
and thanks to everyone who is behind this incredible project.

EDIT: I've just seen your profile, you are from Guadalajara!!!

I´m planning on building Pics version of Icd2 but i can´t find the rev c.

On www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page its the rev b in both links. So does anyone have/know where to find rev c?

Also, I wonder what the L1, and L2 components are in the rev b schematic. My supplier doesn´t seem to have these parts.
Can i sample them from somewhere?

thx

a simple question.
When you disable the "Target suply from the icd2" (from the MPLAB). What happends in potyo pcb?. The state of RA4 is always the same? ..I mean, no matter what you do is this pin going to remain in the state especified by MPLAB ?

Is it posible to use (instead of a transistor) a multiplexer to chance between 3v3 and 5v (controllated by RA4)???

Thank you all.

Gonzakpo said:
I don't understand what you mean when you say "sometimes actumatic interrup the Vdd when you ataches the icd2 or when you change the device and download the new firmware".

But nevermind, I don't want to make such a fuss of that. Anyway, where are you from folks?, I think I've readed something in spanish written by you. (Are you from Spain?, Argentina? Uruguay? etc.). I'm asking you this because I'm from Argentina and I would appreciate if you can answer me some other "silly" questions but in private in order not to keep on writing about the same all over again. Also we could speak in spanish jeje.

Well, that's all. Probably I'll end up using that modification (the one you proposed). But maybe, who knows, we could improve this aspect of the ICD2.

Anyway, the question is still waiting to be answered by ANYONE: is there any way (or idea) to implement an automatic change between 5V or 3v3 ?. I really think it must be posible...

Thanks "Folks" for the help.
and thanks to everyone who is behind this incredible project.

EDIT: I've just seen your profile, you are from Guadalajara!!!

Hola si soy de Guadalajara. Te contesto en español por que mi Ingles es muy pobre

A lo que me refería con “sometimes actumatic interrup the Vdd when you ataches the icd2 or when you change the device and download the new firmware" es que cuando tu conectas tu ICD2 sin abrir mplab o sin seleccionar el ICD2 del menu del mplab como tu grabador o depurador, este automáticamente quita la alimentación de tu dispositivo que quieres depurar-grabar para prevenir algún mal funcionamiento. En resumen cuando conectas tu IC2, la salida RA4 tiene 5v. Si tomas la señal RA4 para cambiar entre 5v y 3.3v es que siempre estaría alimentada entre 3.3v o 5v y no entre 5v y 0v.
Además cuando cambias a otro PIC de otra familia para depurar o programar, el ICD2 desconecta el vdd del PIC a depurar o programar y reprograma el pic16f877A del ICD2 para poder utilizar el nuevo PIC a depurar o programar. En este intervalo el PIC a programar queda sin Vdd=5v también.

Con todo esto te resumo que RA4 no tiene solo la funcion de cambiar de VDD interna a externa osea entre 5V internos y 3.3V externos seleccionado por "Power target from ICD2", si no que además sirve para quitar el VDD y el pic a depurar o programar queda desconectado. Claro, esta funcion es solo para los PIC con un VDD=5v intenos.

Espero me entiendas

Saludos

Hola, te entendi perfectamente. Muchas gracias por la explicacion y por la paciencia.

Eso significa que cuando el mplab reprograma el 16f877a le avisa si es un chip de 5v o 3.3v. Ademas, el ICD2 original supongo q debe cambiar automaticamente la alimentacion de alguna forma. Yo creo q debe haber algun otro pin que controle esto en el 16f877a, pero para eso tendriamos q desamblar el hex y entenderlo de principio a fin...

De nuevo, muchas gracias!

Adios

I know it's easier to type in mother tounge, but for our benefit please translate to English !

folks said:
self test
Taget Vdd Pass
Module Vpp Pass
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLR Vdd Pass
MCLR Vpp High

Power
Target Vdd 5.39
Target Vpp 13.74
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 13.66

what shall i do?

404n90i.jpg
40msfbd.jpg

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x141, read=0x0)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Hi folks, thank you very much.your advice is exactly right!
My ICD2 is working now.

Added after 33 minutes:

Give millions of thanks to everyone in the froum,especially thank PICs,potoy.My ICD2 is working now .Then i upload my work to this place.The GERBER data and Schametic.The 877 and 4550 are TQFP packge.

Help these files can give somebody a hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

vsmGuy said:
I know it's easier to type in mother tounge, but for our benefit please translate to English !

Here ya go: hxxp://www.google.com/translate_t

:D
A bit cynical, I know. Folks said that it would be easier to explain in Spanish because his English isn't so great. Also, English, though it's my native language, is terrible for describing things.

Ok, don't worry. We'll keep on writing in english.

This is the last one (I hope). Did somebody try the potyos version as a debugger? How does it work? perfect, just fine, buggy? ...Thanks

@kenny_zhou

Hey! that's a Protel Schematic, isn't it? ...Could you upload the schematic please (in protel format)?

Thanks

Gonzakpo said:
Did somebody try the potyos version as a debugger? How does it work? perfect, just fine, buggy? ...Thanks
Yes, i have tried it. If you explain, what is the difference between perfect and fine, i will give you the answer.:D

potyo said:
Gonzakpo said:
Did somebody try the potyos version as a debugger? How does it work? perfect, just fine, buggy? ...Thanks
Yes, i have tried it. If you explain, what is the difference between perfect and fine, i will give you the answer.:D

jaja, ok, you are right.

Perfect = well, you know...nothing fails.

Just fine = it fully works, but only under some misterious circunstances (only for some devices for example)

buggy = it TRIES to work without success.

I need it in order to start a project using dsPIC. That's why I'm being so careful with the little details. I don't want to build something that doesn't fulfill the requirements of my next project, it would be a waste of precious time.

Despite from that, I congratulate you for the superb work. You are helping people from all over the world to build their own ICD2 (especially in those places where you can't get the original ICD2 or its unaffordable). So again, thank you.

Hi,everyone i made a ICD2 use the Potyo2 and PIC's design.But now i meet a trouble.

please, help me...

Self Test always failed.

self test
Taget Vdd Pass
Module Vpp Pass
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLR Vdd Pass
MCLR Vpp low

Power
Target Vdd 4.89
Target Vpp 0,02
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 11.66

what shall i do?

maskelibalo said:
Hi,everyone i made a ICD2 use the Potyo2 and PIC's design.But now i meet a trouble.

please, help me...

Self Test always failed.

self test
Taget Vdd Pass
Module Vpp Pass
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLR Vdd Pass
MCLR Vpp low

Power
Target Vdd 4.89
Target Vpp 0,02
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 11.66

what shall i do?

Maybe you have the "Power target from ICD2" unchecked. If you are using a 3.3V device like dsPIC or PIC24 you need an external 3.3V power suply.
If you are using a 5V device just check "Power target from ICD2" checkbox in the setting menu.
Remember to select the correct device from the "Select Device" menu.

Hope that helps.

Gonzakpo said:
maskelibalo said:

please, help me...

Self Test always failed.

self test
Taget Vdd Pass
Module Vpp Pass
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLR Vdd Pass
MCLR Vpp low

Power
Target Vdd 4.89
Target Vpp 0,02
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 11.66

what shall i do?

Maybe you have the "Power target from ICD2" unchecked. If you are using a 3.3V device like dsPIC or PIC24 you need an external 3.3V power suply.
If you are using a 5V device just check "Power target from ICD2" checkbox in the setting menu.
Remember to select the correct device from the "Select Device" menu.

Hope that helps.

it has already been "Power target from ICD2" checked...

Did you measure the voltage using a voltmeter?...is it really 0v like the MPLAB says?

If it is really 0V, you can check if the transistor that controls this voltage is in good condition. Also measure the pin RA4 from the 16f877a, if you checked the "Power target from ICD2" option, this pin should be at 5V.

If it is 5v and MPLAB keeps on saying that there's 0V, I HAVE NO IDEA. Somebody more involved in this topic like POTYO probably could help you.

Everything I'm saying are just IDEAS, I've not even built this project. I'm just helping you using the schematic. Anyway, I want to build it, that's why I'm here je. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me if it works properly or not as a debugger. If not, I'd prefer to build a much more simple programmer like GTP USB LITE.

Hope that helps :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back