Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Andy_123 and PiCS,
Who's circuit was better? I check yours schematic and found some different. I can't decide who's better.
Regards,
xdev

Who's circuit was better?

There is no such thing as a better clone! Clone is clone and never will be as good as the original!

You pick ideas from all versions, check available components and make it!

My goal was to fit it in a small plastic box that I am using with all my devices.
I like SMD chips for a small size and single sided boards - very easy to make at home.

Hi, Andy_123
I needed re-design pcb from your schematic. Are you sure not have errata?

xdev said:
Hi, Andy_123
I needed re-design pcb from your schematic. Are you sure not have errata?
No am not sure, it may have errors. If you find one, let me know.
I've build clones using this schematics and they are working,
but I can't guarantee it has no errors.

Clone is clone, if you want a guarantee, buy the original.

Only I can say that both designs you mentioned based on the original design by Lothar Stolz: **broken link removed**

Edit:
I would change one thing:
If you are using unregulated Vpp source, then connect R18 to VCC instead of V+ and make it the same as R19 (4K7 - 6K8).

PiCS said:
icd2 with Pic16F877a+Pic18F4550+Firmware work ok
Thanks for all

Hello PiCS,

Some parts have different values in the schematics and on the picture
( R1, R4, R5, R28, L1)

Which one should I use ???

Thanks in advance and congratulations for your tremendous job !!

Kind regards,
Etienne

PiCS said:
@kennylee68

D6,D7=1N5819 and Q1=20Mhz
R1=20K for 12.5V (Vpp)

PiCS, thanks!

but it seem not work, it gets a error message:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

whats the problem? can anyone tell me how to fix it.... thankz~~

Andy_123 said:
whats the problem? can anyone tell me how to fix it....
Select "Download Operating System"

I did it before, it showed "system update succeed" but it still get a error message as:

...Connected
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Hi!
Does anyone know the usage of Inductos L1,L2 in the schematics which is posted here by PiCs? I'm not sure about it. In my country, it hard to find some inductor like that .
Could I make an inductor by hand? I.e , use a iron stick and wires?
Anyway, I have routed the board from schemtics of PiCs. It have only 8 jumpers and the size is small (same with his PCB, use PDIP package). If you want, I will post the pdf here.
Thanks to every one who dedicated his time .. and mind in this thread. You did a good job , Albert22, Rkodaira, Nedman, ...

Oh, i forgot to note that the my PCB is not different at all with the one who posted by PiCs. Gonna make my own ICD2USB, hope it will work.

wonbinbk:

If I'm looking at the right schematic (they are all pretty much the same thing) L1 on the USB port is to filter the power for the board. See "Choke"

L2 is used for the DC step-up converter to supply higher voltages for MCLR on some IC's

If you really want to make the inductors, you need a multimeter or similar device capable of measuring the inductance as you wind it. Try to use a core, I've found the air-wound inductors I've used in PLL systems are near telepathic. Think a bad thought and it stops working!

If the inductors are a problem, you can always use a external power supply for the reference voltage until samples arrive.

Important note for people who used my design (TQFP):

1. I am using RJ45 connector (8pin) instead of RJ12 used on ICD2.
The reason - it is easy to make cable using CAT5 Ethernet cable pieces.

2. If you want to use RJ12 cable like ICD2 does, you can plug it into RJ45

3. I made attempt to make my RJ45 to be compatible with RJ12 cable,
but I did not realized that ICD2 uses a crossover cable, so all pins are
backwards compare to the real ICD2.
This will be a problem only if you are using real ICD2 cable and target board.
I will fix this issue in the next version.

See note below from ICD2 user manual.

PiCS said:
Thanks for all

Hello,

I've built the icd2 described in this post and I have a few questions:

- I'm using MPLAB 7.31
- The Windows drivers successfully installed

- What tests can I do without connecting a target board ??? ( are the self tests supposed to succeed without a target board)

- The U1 and 0.47 resistor are getting hot quite quickly, is it normal ??

Thanks for your help ,
Ech

ech said:
PiCS said:
Thanks for all

Hello,

- I'm using MPLAB 7.31

- What tests can I do without connecting a target board ??? ( are the self tests supposed to succeed without a target board)

Thanks for your help ,
Ech

I think you can do a self test, if it pass, the icd2 will work fine.....you should check you circuit and the components,,,, the components should not get hot, even the U1 & 0.47 resistor ( I use a 1 ohm resistor)

Hi everybody. I built one ICD2 clone using PiCS board layout.
The BIG BIG problem is that Mplab 7.40 says this:

...Connected
ICDWarn0054: MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2. Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
...Connected
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

I'm using meProg to program 877 and 4550. I tried to use PiCS firmware without success. Then I used other BL I found on this forum... with the same result :cry:
I also used mplab 7.20, 7.30.... nothing to do...
Then I decided to connect it to mplab 6.?? (I don't remember the exact version):
IT WORKED!!!
Obviously as soon as I changed IDE version, MPLAB started downloading firmware hanging ICD2 in busy.

Could someone help me, please?:cry:

kennylee68 said:
ech said:
PiCS said:
Thanks for all

Hello,

- I'm using MPLAB 7.31

Thanks for your help ,
Ech

I think you can do a self test, if it pass, the icd2 will work fine.....you should check you circuit and the components,,,, the components should not get hot, even the U1 & 0.47 resistor ( I use a 1 ohm resistor)

Thanks, I'll do a complete check this evening ...

Revision B
MCLR Disabled for Pic18F4550

PiCS said:
Revision B

Now that you changed the FETs to more general PNP/NPN parts, we get to make the ICD2 much faster.

I will actually make myself the ICD2 based on your design sometime next week.

PiCS, Could you please tell me if I can use a Microchip replacement for MC34063A.

That way I can order all the 3 main components from Microchip, and be done with it.

I will give you feedback once I do your circuit - have you tested it yourself ?

ech said:
kennylee68 said:
ech said:
PiCS said:
Thanks for all

Hello,

- I'm using MPLAB 7.31

Thanks for your help ,
Ech

Thanks, I'll do a complete check this evening ...

Some news..
Remember I don't have any target board connected yet

I spent the whole evening inspecting the pcb and I could not find any error. ( solder bridge...) I inspected with a magnifier and warmed almost all the solders)

U1 & R3 are still getting hot after plugged. ( even the parts around u1 ( L2, C2, C3, C4) are a little warm)

When I plug the icd, I hear the windows sound A C and when I unplug I get the C A sound !

MPLAB can connect to the ICD but after +/- 5s, I get a dialog box saying that mplab lost the communication. ( with a question, would you like to reconnect..)

The self test hangs..

Some more info: I don't have any usb plug so I cut an usb cable and soldered the wires directly on the pcb... I also soldered the ground "blindage" ( sorry, I don't know the english word for the ground wires around the cable) on the pcb .

here is the mplab output window
Code:
Auto-connect not enabled - Not connecting (Try enabling auto-connect on the ICD2 settings pages.)
...Connected
ICDWarn0054:  MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2.  Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
...Connected
ICDWarn0054:  MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2.  Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
[/code]

It is a good idea

I have the same difficult to find the cy7c64613 chip,and this chip is so expend

Chamera said:
If I'm looking at the right schematic (they are all pretty much the same thing) L1 on the USB port is to filter the power for the board. See "Choke"

L2 is used for the DC step-up converter to supply higher voltages for MCLR on some IC's

If you really want to make the inductors, you need a multimeter or similar device capable of measuring the inductance as you wind it. Try to use a core, I've found the air-wound inductors I've used in PLL systems are near telepathic. Think a bad thought and it stops working!

If the inductors are a problem, you can always use a external power supply for the reference voltage until samples arrive.
To Chamera:
Thank you very much, I have found the inductor. So, my problem is solved. Thank you!

Here is my PCB, schematic redraw, all in pdf. I hope I can give a hand to this thread. And hope it is useful for all of you.
The Header-4 pin is the USB connector, just solder 4 wire of USB cable on it. The Header 6 pin is ICSP header which its first pin is MCLR.
The Firmware is downloaded in PiCs post.

Status
Not open for further replies.