Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
acrobat - go to the URL h*t*t*p://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2577.html

Oh, and I'm going to try if I can get both RJ11 and pin header ICD2 interface on one board

hi PICs ,
Can u please post the gerbers for the PCB u have made??

Regards
Sam

Hi,
I build USB clone but i have problem with self test Module Vpp.
This is MPLAB IDE output:
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x70, read=0x0)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
... Failed Self Test. See ICD2 Settings (status tab) for details.
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Could anyone help me? Thanks.

Plesa

MPLAB - Debugger - Settings - run self test for diagnosis

you may have a problem with

Target Vdd - check ICD2 voltage is within spec

or

Target Vpp - check ICD2 voltage is within spec

or

as I found with my Cypress clone voltage divider feeding RA0 on 877a needs modifying - I used:

Vdd/Vpp-------6k8-------RA0------1k8-------Vss

this solved my problem - hope it helps Polymath

Added after 3 minutes:

Plesa

Check Configure ......... Select Device ........... (correct target selection)
Check Configure ......... Configuration bits ..... (correct config bit options)

Polymath

I guess you would have to look at the diagram on page 24 of the datasheet, and experiment with the value of the FOSC3:FOSC0 bits in the config. word CONFIG1H, which is 111x for your setting at the moment. So just change 'x' and see if it works.

pic1702 said:
I guess you would have to look at the diagram on page 24 of the datasheet, and experiment with the value of the FOSC3:FOSC0 bits in the config. word CONFIG1H, which is 111x for your setting at the moment. So just change 'x' and see if it works.
Please do not copy my text without quoting!

Cheers,

Hi
My ICD 2 is almost finished, but i don't have 20MHz quartz at home. Must 16f877 run at 20MHz? I have only 24MHz quartzes.

Later:

I have placed the 24MHz crystal to the 4550, and changed the PLLDIV bits to Divide by 6, but when i connect it to the USB port, windows says: "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Where to search for errors?

polymath said:
Plesa

MPLAB - Debugger - Settings - run self test for diagnosis

you may have a problem with

Target Vdd - check ICD2 voltage is within spec

or

Target Vpp - check ICD2 voltage is within spec

or

as I found with my Cypress clone voltage divider feeding RA0 on 877a needs modifying - I used:

Vdd/Vpp-------6k8-------RA0------1k8-------Vss

this solved my problem - hope it helps Polymath

Added after 3 minutes:

Plesa

Check Configure ......... Select Device ........... (correct target selection)
Check Configure ......... Configuration bits ..... (correct config bit options)

Polymath

Yes, 1k8 is better than 2k2. problem is that ICD self test passed if Vpp is bigger than 5V, but this is low for correct programming.

I had 2 problems:
1. If i use 24MHz quartz, the device is not recognized by Windows.
2. Under Windows Server 2003 MPLAB doesn't install the USB drivers(it says, MPLAP currently doesn't support this OS). The solution is copying the Drivers folder(MPLAB IDE\ICD2\Drivers) from another computer that runs XP, and in the Data1.cab u will find a small utility called mpusbiru.exe, which will preinstall the driver. After this windows recognizes the device normally.
Finally works my icd2. I have tested it only for programming yet, and is very fast. I thought that, when the icd2 isn't in programming or debugging process, the PGD and PGC pins are in high impedance. But they aren't. It is a small letdown for me. I'm thinking on adding cmos switches to my design.

Thanks for everyone.

HI
Help....when i connect the icd2 to the usb port ,windows says: windows does not reconize it
please i need any advice ...........

Thank you in advance

Can u tell me, what is the function of the LED on pin RC1?

selimt: check the crystal and config bits.

RC1 of 4550 is 4550's error.

The red ERROR LED will light when either 877's RB2 or 4550's RC1 is active.

HI Potyo &tonys
plus the Vcc led , the led_Usb is light (led portc.2)

what is the correct config bits for 18f4550&877)

hi all, its my turn to face probs. tested my circuit on breadboard. but no lucks. first my pc was able to detect the icd, but later. NOTHING. can connect o anything tried many times of reinstalling the software. but stil can get it work. tried with serial ICD2 n got it working serially. reinterface with 4550, it can detect to icd2 but can get connection with 877A. tried reconnecting several times. now everything got screw up. Cant get ANY connection serially o USB. need help.

Hi fms,

I also tried to build an "Ad-hoc" system with some wires soldered under my old Serial board - however it seems that this will make too much sources for errors and I didn't get it to work - so I decided to build a testboard.

If you have the chance to build PCB in your home lab - then take one of the layouts already posted here and build it.

If not, either take a "thru hole board" and solder the components on it - or sent me a PM and I will make a PCB for you when I am in my homelab again.

Best Regards,
Manuel

potyo said:
I had 2 problems:
1. If i use 24MHz quartz, the device is not recognized by Windows.

I think is 20Mhz quartz, because:

- Maximum frequency of F877A is 20Mhz.
- You can use MPLAB or Winpic800 to open icd24550_new_boot.hex, you will see config bit is PLL div 5, therefore 20Mhz XTAL is right.

HI

It is ok now
for 24Mhz config oscillator selection is :[divided by 6(24mhz input)]

Thank you

Added after 8 minutes:

HI

It is ok now
for 24Mhz config oscillator selection is :[divided by 6(24mhz input)]

Thank you

PiCS said:
icd2 with Pic16F877a+Pic18F4550+Firmware work ok
Thanks for all

Hi, PiCS....

I'm building one from your PCB file, but iI have a question on what components for D6 & D7. Are they Schottky Diodes? or what Diodes should I use? Thanks!

@kennylee68

D6,D7=1N5819 and Q1=20Mhz
R1=20K for 12.5V (Vpp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back