Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zerocode,

the most schematics I have seen in this thread are ok... however different goals have been met in this schematics - so it depends on your requirement which one you choose.

If you are willing to spent money without spending too much effort I would suggest you go and buy a ICD2.

If you are willing to spend less to none money take one of the schematics/PCBs in this thread and decide on which components you already have available and how your ICD should work (i.e. you must not have the target drivers if your ICP cable is less than 10cm.

Also you don't need the SPI pot for most of the general PICs and if you don't mind about using an external PSU you can also leave out the charge pump to pump the 5VUSB to 12V Vpp.

Last but not least - the software is still missing the first 128 bytes as they have not been made avialable to the public. So there might be issues...

Best Regards,
Manuel

ZerroCode

You will not see a "final" silver bullet solution here.
All you see here are clones.
As clone will never be exactly the same as the original, you will never see a final version.
It is a work in progress and just show a great appriciation to the people who started this thread.

People trying different approaches to archive different goals.
They using different ideas based on the components they have handy and the form factor they trying use.
Look through the thread, search google for ICD clone, pick ideas and make your own.
As I can confirm, this thread has all info necessary to build ICD2 clone with multiple variations of target control and Vpp voltage source.

For people who like small form factor, I am almost done with simplified version using
TQFP ICs, hole through components on SINGLE SIDED board 2.9" x1.3" (75x33mm).
So far it has only 7 air wires and it may have one more if I add target Vdd control. It will look like this:

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

For those people who asking for the complete project : Here is all you need... If you don't know how to complete the project with the information gathered on this topic, you probably will have a serious problems making it from the pcb & sch files.
You should be in touch with PIC's to successfully complete this programmer.

I've used schematic with 74125,74126, pic10F200 charge pump for Vpp. I've placed it on one schematic, spend few hours routing the double-sided pcb and used my old icd2-rs232 to program 4550 with icd24550_ntwp and 877A with the bootloader provided on this topic.
There is no problem with first 128 bytes of 4550 bootloader, because these bytes are in mentioned file (*_ntwp).

Greetz.

Brem said:
I agree with Soad85 about the single chip ICD. It allows a very simple hardware design, and developing the software is fun. I dont care to much about the firmware updates. When it works for a chip, it works. If it doesn't i'll dive into the prog specs and a disassemled firmware, and make it work.

Here's a picture of my latest attempt. It's basicly PICKIT hardware with ICD emulating software. It can use the ICD USB driver (thx to this thread), or RS232 using a virtual com port driver. This way you can have multiple USB ICD's on your PC, but maybe that's only usefull when developing a programmer.

Ok so I'v read threw alot of this forum and there is a ton of info here.

I'm wondering if a single chip icd2 clone exists (for ease of assembly). If so what chip is used? If its surface mount is there a dil of the same chip? Also what code is used on it?

Sory if this information is in this thread. There is just so much info a figured I would ask some specific questions as it seems like there are alot of icd2 clones being designed all in this one thread.

One question to those who completed the task:

Are the 877 & 4550 (TQFP versions) getting warm during operation (even idle) ?
Warm - I mean about 40-50*C.

Thanks

Gobol, they should not get warm, somethings wrong there... (a dsPIC @30mips can get warm, but a 4550 @20MHz not.)

Are the 877 & 4550 (TQFP versions) getting warm during operation (even idle) ? Warm - I mean about 40-50*C.
No, they should not. Check to make sure you have enough decoupling capacitors on all power lines

hcker2000,

Brem has developed a single chip ICD2, but for specific chips only, because he had to rewrite the code for a 2250.
(Brem correct me if Iam wrong)

Well here is my vesrion of the icd2 clone, the pcb is fully checked against my schematic but this version is uncheck as a working version but there is no reason why it should not work i have used Lothers ICD2 clone and replaced the FT232 chip with this design from here using the pic18f4550, the only think that i have got to go over is the resistor vaules, the voltage booster i got from rapid electronics and it should be fom RS components to,

I plan to build it over the next few days, just got to await PIC18F4550 beast then i'm fully rock and rolling,

any comments/improvements welcome

regards

wizpic

Any idea what chips the single chip ICD2 clone works with?

I'm hoping to build some thing that will suport a good bunch of pics and some dsPics.

I don't have to have the debuging but unless some one knows a super simple USB programer to build.

hacker read all threads on this subject and also read the icd2 on microchip web site and you will get to understand what it will program and what it won't

I learnt the hard i tried to cheat and be checky but has people say you will not have it handed to you ona plate so i decided to study the thread and hopefully have built one from all the info on here the next few days i shall find out

wizpic

I'v read threw alot of the data. Have not had a chance to check out alot of the board layouts and such sence I'm on 56k at work.

I'm many hoping to gather more info about the Single Chip ICD2 clone. If it programs all the pics that the normal ICD2 then that would be a sweet solution.

hcker2000 said:
I'v read threw alot of the data. Have not had a chance to check out alot of the board layouts and such sence I'm on 56k at work.

Just to let you know I'm on 14k.

hcker2000 said:
I'm many hoping to gather more info about the Single Chip ICD2 clone. If it programs all the pics that the normal ICD2 then that would be a sweet solution.

It is rather not worth playing in... It isn't very expensive to create ICD-2 with both 877 & 4550. It's even time-cheaper, because you don't need to create by yourself new firmware which will support any PIC. (It is hard to do, because of MPLAB protocol & programming protocol which is different for almost all PIC family.)

icd2 with Pic16F877a+Pic18F4550+Firmware work ok
Thanks for all

Nice work PICs.

I think that in the files is missing the information about the credits of the firmware.

I believe some users in this forum worked very hard to get the firmware working, so a txt in the archive given the proper credits will be nice.

my 2 cents with my bad english....:)

Nice work!

Being stuck with a proper PicStrart and not being able to program about half the PICs I want, and having to remove the ones I can for every change, a clone ICD2 sounds like heaven.

Is it possible to replace the 18F4550 with a 18F2550 (fewer pins) or a 18F4455 (12kbytes less program memory) without any change in the sourcecode?

Chamera said:
Nice work!

Being stuck with a proper PicStrart and not being able to program about half the PICs I want, and having to remove the ones I can for every change, a clone ICD2 sounds like heaven.

Is it possible to replace the 18F4550 with a 18F2550 (fewer pins) or a 18F4455 (12kbytes less program memory) without any change in the sourcecode?

There is no possibility changing 4550 to 2550 because 2550 hasn't SPP (streaming parallel port) which is in use as a comm channel to 877. 18F4455 - is there no difference in pins count to 4550, so why don't 4550 which will be 100% suitable.

If people can be difficult, they will be ;)

I'm in the ZA and the M-chip Freebees (samples) can sometimes take months to arrive. At the moment there is no stock available, whatsoever, on the 4550 anywhere in this country. Thay do have 2550 and 4455 in stock....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back