Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
martinisonline said:
I do it too, but everytime i do a 'connect' command, it returns:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
Target Device PIC18F2550 found, revision = a3
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

This is normal??

ICDWarn0059: About to re-program ICD2 USB Boot firmware code. Please do NOT disconnect the ICD2 or interrupt this operation!
seems like when you burn formware in 18f4550 "Table write protect boot" in configuration bits was set to "Enabled". This prevents bootloader from re-programming. Set this field to "Disabled".

best regards,
stroma

For those wanting another approach to the control interface to the target instead of the LM358 or the 74xx124,74xx126,74xx07 I suggest the one at h**p://www.stolz.de.be/ using simple transistors. I have build both this usb version and the rs232 version using that method which is simple and effective. My usb unit works well with MPLAB 7.4
Many thanks to those who did the hard work.
Regards,
John ZL2TTM

Hi to all,
I am so happy that my 4550 ICD2 work fine!!! And fast really fast!!. Below you can find some pictures of the project. The whole system is build around a PIC16F877A&18F4550 evaluation board that I build, a RS232 ICD2 home build card and a breadboard to host the transistor inverter in order to control 16F877A RESET. The next steep is to build the project in a dedicate card (I designed the PCB and I am waiting for the card production). For 4550 firmware I am using icd24550.hex and for PIC16F877A the ICD661.hex.

REGARDS NICK

Gobol said:
Oh, Yeah! Finally it works. Thanks all for good job.
F2455 flashed successfully :).
It's very fast comparing to ICD2-RS232. I've used TQFP-s, double sided board and almost all SMD-s components. PCB is 7cm x 4.5cm. And of course its all hand-made :)

Thanks again.

Hi

May you share your job ?! :)

manuel1139 said:
I finally got mine working - however still needs 2-3 seconds while single stepping with some open watches but much more useful than the serial one with 20-30 seconds single stepping.

I tested this tonight and with several watches in the window it still steps instantly... you might have a bug. This thing is fast!

I also tested it on my 18F8720 board tonight and it works perfectly :D

I do get that "The system cannot find the file specified." error sometimes after plugging in the icd2 for the first time. Resetting the 4550 fixes it. I just looked and I don't have the power up timer enabled so that could be the problem.

Hi VoltageDrop,

which schematic did you use? Especially which target driver did you use? I used the schematics from Lothar Stolz which only uses some resistors to drive the targets PGD & PGC... Maybe that is the problem. I also use MPLAB 7.40.

I also wonder why the 877 runs with 20 MHZ while the 4550 runs with 48 MHZ clock. Shouldn't this match for the communication? I however didn't see a chance to let the 4550 run with 20 MHZ system clock and 48 MHZ USB clock.

Best Regards,

Manuel

manuel1139 said:
which schematic did you use? Especially which target driver did you use? I used the schematics from Lothar Stolz which only uses some resistors to drive the targets PGD & PGC... Maybe that is the problem. I also use MPLAB 7.40.
There is no problem with this schematic.
I also wonder why the 877 runs with 20 MHZ while the 4550 runs with 48 MHZ clock. Shouldn't this match for the communication? I however didn't see a chance to let the 4550 run with 20 MHZ system clock and 48 MHZ USB clock.
This is where the problem is. Both should have 20MHZ crystals.

Cheers

Ravi

ravimarcus,

how would you do that? I am just a beginner so it might be my fault but - when I look at the possible settings in the config bits of the 4550 then you have only the possibility to drive the OSC1 & OSC2 directly with a 48 MHZ crystal or use the PLL. I am running 4550 with a 20 MHZ crystal and the PLL. This means I can only divide the PLL by 4 meaning the core runs with 24 MHZ or with 6 - than we are at 16MHZ.

So how will you (or mircochip) allow the core run at 20 MHZ while leaving the USB clock at 48MHZ?

Waiting for your comments..

Best Regards,
Manuel

According to the 18F4550's datasheet (page 23), the system clock can be different from the USB clock. I guess you would have to look at the diagram on page 24 of the datasheet, and experiment with the value of the FOSC3:FOSC0 bits in the config. word CONFIG1H, which is 111x for your setting at the moment. So just change 'x' and see if it works.

Also, check page 6 of this thread for Zedman and Brem's configurations. They are using 20 MHz crystals.

Cheers,

manuel1139,

Like Namqn mentioned there is information in this topic.

I can give you a solution this instant but I will not. I have students coming for training on PICmicro. I do not provide solutions, I let them think and use their resources. That way they will learn and be able to do things on their own. You too will thank me for this. "Rome was not built in a day". I am harsh, but I am pratical.

Cheers

Ravi

I agree with Ravi,
This topic has all info you need to build ICD2: schematics, USB boot and 877A firmware.
I strated reading when topic was over 12 pages and I was able to find all info here.
People here made great job analyzing and adopting FW.

Excellent job.

I am planning to design board to fit in a small box exactly same as we used for FTDI version.
See here :

It will be SMD for ICs (TQFP) and hole-through for all other components - best for the home-made devices.
I may order factory boards if people interested.

Hello,

very good job in only 1 month,

I am very impressed about what have been done,

It took 3 hours to me to read all your post

I will try to make my own ICD2 USB.

Here is my version of the ICD2 clone I've only drawn the schematic so far and just started to transfer very thing over to th PCB,

Could some one have a quick check for me as i have joined 2 together and poniters or improvements welcome

cheers

wizpic

wizpic said:
Here is my version of the ICD2 clone I've only drawn the schematic so far and just started to transfer very thing over to th PCB,
Could some one have a quick check for me as i have joined 2 together and poniters or improvements welcome
I think, using ext. vpp source is not a good idea, but works, so this is your choice. I suggest u placing R16 after the voltage divider, and R17 should be 6k8(not 8k8).

You are all right - Its been a long time that I read that 4550 datasheet - However my first test with driving the core with 20MHZ failed. But will need some more testing here.

I also want to provide you the work I have done so far and put my testboard built in eagle on this board.

Its not yet finished but will others allow not to start from scratch over and over again...

Best Reagard,

Added after 3 minutes:

sorry, forgot the attachment... here it is

At last i have finished my board. Have added 2 jumpers to change the vpp voltage. I hope, the building will start on the next weekend.

Attachment removed. You can find the latest schematic and pcb here:

Can somebody atach the entire project ???

- right schematic (becouse i see too many schematic and i dont know witch one to build)
- pcb (Eagle or Protel)
- right hex for 18F4550 and 16F877

Thanks in advance ....

zerrocode, i guess it's better for u to start off reading now before u get f@%# @* here.. ok? most ppl read the 13 pages here. most of it is already gathered. u can EASILY find them yet u r still requesting to make life much EASIER. We r already leeching. Plss do ur homework. PPl who has worked hard here will get p!$$*d off if u dont. PLS READ b4 posting. sorry if i sound rude.
Anyway, to those who worked hard, Thanks for the great job. Really appreciate it.
Take Care ya alll...

@fms ... belive me .. i read all posts from page 1 to 14 and i save all information , schematics and hex atached here ....
I appreciate hard work of people from here ... i allways apreciate their works
I dont want to make my life EASIER ... but i dont want to give my money on my window ... if i have a schematic (and the people who make this schematic say it's a working one) i make a pcb (its not a homemade pcb ... i give money on a company to make this pcb) ...
i hope you understand my reason for asking an entire project .... i make this asking probably for other people who will see this thread and they want to make an USB ICD2... for me is enough to tell me what shematic is working.

And Finaly ... i dont think somebody will be angry if one man collect all the information from this thread and put together.

I dont want to angry somebody with my words ... please excuse me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back