Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
About reprogramming 18F4550:

I had a similiar problem, that an working ICD2 clone becomes unrecognisable by WinXP. When programing the hex file for 4550, set the bits that prevents table write to it, so it can't reprogam itself. This way it will not become unrecognisable ever.
So far, it works for me...

Beowolf said:

When programing the hex file for 4550, set the bits that prevents table write to it, so it can't reprogam itself. This way it will not become unrecognisable ever.

i just did and now see what i get !!!

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
ICD0289: Unable to re-program ICD2 USB OS firmware.
ICD0021: Unable to connect with MPLAB ICD 2
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

Beowolf said:

I had a similiar problem, that an working ICD2 clone becomes unrecognisable by WinXP. When programing the hex file for 4550, set the bits that prevents table write to it, so it can't reprogam itself. This way it will not become unrecognisable ever.

What is the bit you program to 4550 and 877A ?
I had a similiar problem.

As I remember from the firmware USB led turns on after the icd2 device reaches a certain USB connection state. If it blinks that indicates some error, maybe the device in a connect-disconnect loop or something.

to mmindstorm:
i had no problem with that ! ?!

abour recognising:

what capacitors did you use with Xtal? instead of 33pF, use 22pF.

i use 22 pF , Beowolf , do you remember exactely wich bit to setup ???

i already have Table write protect boot enabled

when i tried the 4 other one i'm getting error as in earlier post!!

CRAZYDUCK are you around !!!! We need help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Je suis certain qu'il y a moyen de faire fonctionner ton icd comme il le faut, peux-tu nous aider ??????????????????

mindstorm88 said:
CRAZYDUCK are you around !!!! We need help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Je suis certain qu'il y a moyen de faire fonctionner ton icd comme il le faut, peux-tu nous aider ??????????????????

Hi!
Review the Fosc = 20Mhz, you are not based on the capacitors or the frequency marked in the Xtal because the real frequency can vary.
Code in PWM to measure the XTAL
1-. program your 4550 with this
2-. program the 16f877 with any thing (example: GOTO $ )
3-. measure on pin RC2= 5KHZ exactly (XTAL=20MHZ)
4-. If RC2 is different to 5KHZ change the capacitors.

Wow ,, frequency is that critical !!! + or - how many hertz on the 20 mHz ???

i do have a nice 20.001 mHz !!!! so frequency is not the problem !!!

I'm new on this forum, so I'm sorry that this link is maby known, but it can be of some use I think.

:idea:

**broken link removed**

:idea:

I didn't had time to analise schematic, but it seeams OK.

Best Regards,
SupersonicPM

supersonicPM said:
I didn't had time to analise schematic, but it seeams OK.
Schematic is ok, but the CY7C64613 is obsolete. It is replaced with PIC18F4550.:D

but as I saw, POTYO2 doesn't have "simple" RS232 communication, only USB. Why is the 232 extracted from project? I plain (till I find 18F4550) to use pins of 877 with RS232 communication, is it possible so?

supersonicPM said:
but as I saw, POTYO2 doesn't have "simple" RS232 communication, only USB. Why is the 232 extracted from project? I plain (till I find 18F4550) to use pins of 877 with RS232 communication, is it possible so?

It is extracted because rs232 is to slow and new computers and notebooks don't have com ports anymore. Yes it is possible to use RS 232 at the begining and later you can upgrade your clone to USB version.

Please confirm my uderstanding , the 4550 is only the translator between usb and the 877A, so only the 877A gets updated by MPLAB !!! am i ok ??? if yes it means that i could secure the 4550 against writing !!!

Thanks

mindstorm88 said:
Please confirm my uderstanding , the 4550 is only the translator between usb and the 877A, so only the 877A gets updated by MPLAB !!! am i ok ??? if yes it means that i could secure the 4550 against writing !!!

Thanks
Yes, when you change the ICD2 OS, only the 877 is reprogrammed. You can secure the 4550 against writing.

I am having a problem getting this to work. I first setup the 4550 and it gets recognized by the computer as the ICD2, but once i attach the 877A to the circuit, the USB led from the 4550 just blinks and nothing happens (no computer response or anything), has anyone else had a problem like this? I am using potyos design

*EDIT* Actually, I just unhooked my real ICD2 and tried to plug in the new one and it just blinks. It works when I use MPLAB to manually "release from reset" (the icon that looks like the rising edge of a clock signal), but not when i take it off it, anyone got any ideas on that?

I like this project,
here is the question,
what's the different between these many versions??
complext is better ? or simple one is better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back