Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Potyo (and of course other users too):

Hello,
I've built your version (dated 19.09.06) of ICD2 clone with VPP variable generator and CMOS switches on output, using source files from eagle which you have published earlier on this topic. Unfortunately it doesn't want to start working. After connecting it to PC nothing happens - WinXP doesn't recognize it as a new device (it's not visible in the Device Manager) so it's not possible to install ICD2 drivers. I've checked it on a few computers and only on an old one (PIII 800MHz) with Win2000 it was recognized but still impossible to install drivers. So far I checked that DC converter works properly (VPP voltage is about 11,4V), oscillator on both PICs is ok, whole circuit current taken from USB is about 100mA. Replacing the 18F4550 doesn't help.
Have you (or anyone else) faced such problem and could help me with it?

Hi!

First of all a BIG Thanks to all GREAT PEOPLE for their great work!

I made one ICD2 USB clone in 160x100 mm eurocard with:

Vpp gen = MC34063AP1 (with 25 turns 10K trimmer)
Vpp switch = DG411DJZ
T_Vdd switch = BC640 (but I'm thinking to change it with IRF9520 mosfet)
Buffer = 74HC126 + 74HCT125

Tested (program only) with 16F84A, 16F876A, 16F877A, 18F4550, 18F2550 with MPLAB IDE v7.42

It was recognized at the first time and installed without ask nothing (WinXP PRO) using drivers pre-installed by MPLAB IDE.

Thanks again, You're really Great!

Regards.

szlovak said:
Does anybode had tested if USB led should be connected to RC1 or RC2 ?
After analyzing the code, it seems, it should be connected to RC1. In the code there are no "bcf latc,2" instruction, only "bsf latc,2". There are "bcf latc,1", "bsf latc,1" and "btfss latc,1" instructions.

Added after 56 minutes:

OOPS, i have not seen the last page.

Added after 10 minutes:

thanatos

After connecting to pc, nothing happens, or windows says, the device cannot be identified?

potyo said:
After connecting to pc, nothing happens, or windows says, the device cannot be identified?

Completely nothing happens on modern PC's (tested on PIV 3GHz, Celeron 2GHz and Athlon 1700), on older ones (PIII 500MHz i PIII 800MHz) Windows recognizes it as "Unknown Device" but there's no possibility to install any drivers.

friends my be i can suggest u something as one of u said about keil it can certaily tell u how to download the hex file. the hex file format in keil is drawf/elf which is downloaded by usb jtag debugger. to know more about cypress is useful

thanatos said:
Completely nothing happens on modern PC's (tested on PIV 3GHz, Celeron 2GHz and Athlon 1700), on older ones (PIII 500MHz i PIII 800MHz) Windows recognizes it as "Unknown Device" but there's no possibility to install any drivers.

This is because u did not manage to properly install the icd2 driver in your computer. Jz follow the instruction in mplab on how to uninstall and reinstall the driver. U MAY even need to repeat the uninstall n reinstalling process plenty of times. i know i did. u may even try switching diff versions. Do it with patience. Good luck.

Hello,

i am looking the schematic of the icd2 usb clone revision B and i don't understand why many pins of the two pics are linked to the bus but without any net alias?
Some pins with net alias don't seem having any other net with the same alias, for example the master clear of the 18f4550 has no other alias "Mclr" in the schematic. Is it a bug in the schematic or is it right?

Regards.

Hi!

Thanks to all people for their great work!
Special THANKS to Potyo!

I made one ICD2 USB clone - Potyo schematics with minor modifications

I've noticed, that after unchecking "Power target circuit from MPLAB ICD2" (and pressing Apply button) the TargetVdd settled at 2.73V (instead of 0.00V) - a very strange level. This voltage came from pin14 of SN74HC126N, witch has logical "1"'s at Enable pins, but is not powered at pin 14. Maybe my chip is strange, but I put a diode between pin14 and "ISP-VDD" line and now it's OK.

I'm planning to change ISP-Vdd switching transistor with FDS6675A or IRF9520, but I'm not sure if this would make some sense

Regards and thanks again!

Hi Balywin!

Excuse me for my poor english

I have the same problem. Using the diode is working ok for the all families (PIC16, 18, 24 and dsPIC30 at 3.3v)?

Thanks to all people for de ICD2 USB clone. And thanks to Potyo for the schematics and pcb.

Regards.

Martín

Zaphyrus said:
Hi Balywin!

Excuse me for my poor english

I have the same problem. Using the diode is working ok for the all families (PIC16, 18, 24 and dsPIC30 at 3.3v)?

Thanks to all people for de ICD2 USB clone. And thanks to Potyo for the schematics and pcb.

Regards.

Martín

You can use 74AHC126 and 74AHCT125. I tested on PIC24 and dsPIC33 it work ok.

fms said:
This is because u did not manage to properly install the icd2 driver in your computer. Jz follow the instruction in mplab on how to uninstall and reinstall the driver. U MAY even need to repeat the uninstall n reinstalling process plenty of times. i know i did. u may even try switching diff versions. Do it with patience. Good luck.

I think I've tried almost everything so far, but still no results :( But tell me one thing - let's say we don't have MPLAB installed on PC, what should be the right reaction for connecting clone to computer? No reaction, windows should recognize it as an 'Unknown Device' or what? And if it's drivers problem - how they should be properly installed? After installing MPLAB there are no drivers, so I run as it's described MPUsbIRU.exe and it says "Incorrect path" or something like that - so I use MPUsbClean and then MPUsbIRU once again - drivers seems to be installed but clone is still not working. Did I miss something?

Hello,

Congratulations to everybody that helped to this great project. After 2 weeks reading (almost all the posts) I desided to build ICD clone (Potyo’s version 19.09.06) many thanks to Potyo for publishing his eagle files. I just need some help on the last updates that I may have to do to the board e.g.

Do I have to place a diode at pin 14 of SN74HC126N as Balywin mentioned before an if yes is 1N4148 the appropriate?

Do I have to change the connection of the usb led to RC1 (Poryo’s schematic shows it at RC2). Potyo you mentioned something on your last post but sorry my English isn’t so good and you answered and to some other questions too that mixed me up.

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thank you in advance.

Hi To all
I have built the ICD some months ago and is working fine with MPLAB 7.01 and 7.30. I try it with MPLAb 7.40 7.43 but ICD fails to download OS and hence to successfully connect. Any suggestions? Mayby a new firmware for PIC18F4550 is needed?
Regards Nick

Hi,

@ NICK7 : My ICD2 clone is working very well (since the day I made it) with MPLAB IDE v7.42.
With other versions I don't know but with 7.42 must work (yesterday was on some hours in debug mode with 16f876A). Maybe win driver's problem (previous not removed or newest not installed properly???)

@ balywin : same problem and same solution: BAT48 from T_Vdd to pin 14 of M74HC126. I was thinking too to change T_Vdd switch but is working very well with BC640 so I leave BC.

@ paulgr : you can try with 1N4148 or lower dropout diode. In my ICD2 BAT48 is working well. My USB led is connected to PIN17 (RC2) and it turns on when I connect my board to USB (not very useful...)

Regards.

HI Thelux

Thanks for your answer
Can you upload the firmaware (.hex) that you are using for PIC18F4550 and for PIC16F877A in order to reprograme my ICD?
Regards Nick

Hi Nick,

my firmware was downloaded from: (sorry if I not upload it but... rules are rules: if url doesn't works, let me know) :

http://www.icd2clone.com/w/images/e/e9/Icd2_4550_Firmwares.zip

ICD2_16F877A_boot.hex is only a bootloader so you can try with hex file that have OS too, like the one attached.

I hope this can help MPLAB to recognize your ICD2...

Looking your schematic I see that you use 24 MHz crystal instead of 20 MHz (in 4550) so you can try to change this.

I hope you'll have soon your ICD2 working again... let us know.

Regards.

Thelux thanks
I load 4550 with the new firmware and now my ICD is working OK with MPLAB 7.43. My old 4550 firmware caused the problem with that version of MPLAB.
Regards Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm very happy for you!!! Now we have to test it with new version 7.50 but I think it'll work. Someone have tested new version?

Regards.

Hi,

I want to build ICD2 clone from this page: http://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page (Rev b), and would like the following:

1) This clone does Program and Debugging as well?

2) Is it fully working with no problem? -which pic family is it working(PIC16, PIC18, dspic)?

3) Is this clone works with MPLAB, and if YES, should I disable the "Download automatically OS.."?

4) Someone built it and can recomend it?

5) After I Assemble the Hardware, as I saw 2 Hex firmware, with which program I flash those, and what the order should I flash those?

balywin said:
I've noticed, that after unchecking "Power target circuit from MPLAB ICD2" (and pressing Apply button) the TargetVdd settled at 2.73V (instead of 0.00V) - a very strange level. This voltage came from pin14 of SN74HC126N, witch has logical "1"'s at Enable pins, but is not powered at pin 14. Maybe my chip is strange, but I put a diode between pin14 and "ISP-VDD" line and now it's OK.

No problem !

If your TargerVdd at 0V, SN74HC126 may be damaged. Because CMOS IC has an internal diode to protect ESD , so 2.73V is very normal :D

Sorry for my poor English !

Added after 1 minutes:

Thelux said:
Hi Nick,

I'm very happy for you!!! Now we have to test it with new version 7.50 but I think it'll work. Someone have tested new version?

Regards.

I've tested, it working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.