Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming cable for CPLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakirel

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dlc9g adapter

Hello,
can anyone help me to program a CPLD from Lattice(the ispMACH4032V and 4064V). I would not want to purchase the ispDownload cables from them but rather make a small adaptation to programm the device with a parallel port.
After some searching i read that it can be done using the Altera MasterBlaster with some modifications.
Also i found a small schematic that translates from DB25 parallel to JTAG on a Sun Workstation.(can be found in the attachment) Should this work on a PC?
Just a silly question in the end: can i use a USB-JTAG adapter from Xilinx(DLC9G) with some modifications to program the CPLD from Lattice?

dlc9g

Why dont you want to buy the proper cable from Lattice?

With all the work you are planning to go through to make other suppliers cables work it would be easier and less expensive to just buy the Lattice cable.

E

latice cpld programming cable

The USB cable arrives here for about 240euros from 160 or so $. You can imagine how much the 70$ parallel one will be.
I want to make it as low-cost as possible and will try to make it with the adapter for the Sun Workstation(page 2 from the file that i attached).

lattice programming cable schematic

How much time will you loose from trying to modify another cable that may not work?

I know there is a monetary cost involved but how much price can you put on not loosing any time from having the right cable?

E

xilinx dlc9g price

Hello,

it's generally not very difficult to dessign a Lattice ISP cable, but you should understand a few points, that matters here. You can't e.g. not use an Altera cable with standard Lattice ispVM software, cause the two adapters have a different usage of LPT signals and different identification. You would basically be able, to program a lattice CPLD with Altera Jam Player, but that requires special File conversion and is less easy than using a suitable cable. It would also be possible to create a special ispVM software, that uses an Altera cable directly, but you need to understand the code.

I show you, just for reference the circuit of a Lattice ISP cable I have been using. I don't think that it's better than any other cable, it's just operating.

Regards,
Frank

lattice isp 케이블

Hi,

Even though the protocol is same IEEE 1149.1, the hardware in each JTAG cable will be different. One company cable will not support the other company components. Hence my suggestion is better you buy the proper cable and use it. Otherwise it may spoil your components.

If you need more information, contact me,

Regards,

N. Muralidhara

CRL-BEL

lattice programming cable

Ok, there seems to be a little misunderstanding: i want to use the parallel port to program a Lattice CPLD. So instead of buying the 70$ or more cable i want to use the schematic that is in the file that i attached or the one that FvM uploaded.
Pls dont give me the Lattice sales agent talk. I do not want to buy the cable as its a great cost for one attempt at replacing the current cpld.
From 70$ that thing could land in my country at 100euro.It is basically too much.

lattice parallel port cpld isp cable

I think, the $70 may be understandable considering manufacturers organizational effort for such products, but you sometimes get complete evaluation boards for the same amount.

I also have gerber files for the said cable (as a panel of four circuits, see below).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back