Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

program that counts all the vertices in a given tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

o_0

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm supposed to write a program that counts all the vertices in a given tree.

Any language can be used. (I've been using Perl mostly but could do C too. C++ would be ok too, if it was significantly easier.)

I'm not making much progress because I don't even know what the input is supposed to look like. Also, this seems like the kind of thing that there's a formula for.
-What does the input look like? (how is the tree entered into the program?) I've seen the graphical version. But how would that tree be typed in?
-I read if a tree has n levels, the number of vertices is 2^{n-1}. And for n edges, the vertices are (n-1). Maybe that will help.

I'm a grad student in electrical engineering but software is not my area of specialization. I didn't take the algorithms class. The problem would probably be simple to anyone who had taken the class. If you know a good reference book or website, I'd appreciate that too. Googling hasn't helped much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back