Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

program counter is incremented by 4 why

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpraneethin007

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why in an 32 bit length instruction program counter incremented by 4?

for 16 bit and 64 bit by how much a counter should be increased? reason?

thanks a lot for your reply

Hello!

If you don't specify what processor you are using, it will be difficult to reply.
And beside this, are you writing in assembler (in which case instruction should be considered
as "atomic" or in C, in which case an instruction can imply a lot of other instructions?

Dora

Hello!

If you don't specify what processor you are using, it will be difficult to reply.
And beside this, are you writing in assembler (in which case instruction should be considered
as "atomic" or in C, in which case an instruction can imply a lot of other instructions?

Dora

Hi

I am considering a MIPS processor - 32 bit. It is in C

Last edited:

I can be wrong, but I think it may be that your counter counts bytes. making it easy to work with char bytes etc. . more program codes may or organized into words. which forced him to rise to 4 bytes ie one word at a time
You should see what the geometry of the organization of memory and it is there where you will find the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back