Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

processing a buffer in parallel using FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

conoscenza silente

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All
I am doing first steps in FPGA development.
As a starting point I would like to achieve knowledge about how to split a work in parallel sub tasks on a FPGA.

Do you know which VHDL construct or RTL block is used and I should have a look If I have a buffer representing for example an array of numbers that I want to process in parallel tasks?
I hope the question is not too vague..but I am really a newbie..
Kind Regards
CS

I hope the question is not too vague..but I am really a newbie..

Yes, it's is too vague. Please give a better description of what you intend to do.

It is very vague. But from what you have written - no you would not usually process a buffer of numbers, you usually process a stream of data.

Ok.
Suppose I have a buffer having a message in it so
first 4 bytes a string of 4 character
next 4 bytes a 32 bit integer
next 4 bytes a second string of 4 character
next 4 bytes a second 32 bit integer.

The strings have to be compared against an available dictionnary and the 2 integers have to be used
to make 2 different calculations according any whatever algorithm of function.

On a FPGA do I have to process this buffer of 16 bytes like below or is there something to make the task go in parallel? ( SEQUENTIAL vs PARALLEL processing )
How to approach that? The description below looks more like PIPELINING

// SEQUENTIAL processing
a. read 4 bytes
b. look for item in dictioannary
c. read 4 bytes
d. do calculation
e. read 4 bytes
f. look for item in dictioannary
g. read 4 bytes
h. do calculation

// PARALLEL processing ( like Multithreading )
a. read 4 bytes
b1. read 4 bytes b2. look for item in dictioannary
c1. read 4 bytes c2. do calculation
d1. read 4 bytes d2. look for item in dictioannary
e. do calculation

My question is how to carry these 4 operations in parallel..what are the basic building blocks I have to study/read in order to be able to carry these 4 at the same time.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

Hi TrickyDicky
Thanks for your response. Suppose my data is organized in chunks of 4 bytes this means that I should wait to finish processing the first 4 bytes before move to the second 4 bytes. Am I correct? If processing the first 4 bytes could take an indefinite lot of time how to handle this case? Can I read the next 4 bytes and keep on processing the first 4 somewhere else?

Last edited:

I think your question is still a bit vague. And I think you need to read up on digital logic.
How is your data going to arrive? 4 bytes at a time? plus how big is this "dictionary"? is it just a memory lookup, or is it looking for some kind of similarity?

FPGAs are heavily pipelined, but you often have several pipelines running in parrallel.
Think of an FPGA as a co-processor. It has a single task, but a massive throughput.

Hi TrickyDick

Data might be received either ways i.e. in chunks of 4 or as a single buffer of 16 bytes
and the search in the dictionary will not happen on a simple lookup without
using any comparison.

Can you address me a bit to some good reading on digital logic/design for pipelines
or any other structure for 'parallelism'?

I think is definitely what I was looking for i.e. how to arrange basic
digital pieces ( Flip Flop, D-Latch , etc ) to provide what I need.

Hi
I found this web site. Maybe a starting point to read about pipelines and more basic stuff.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back