Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with simple 741 non inverting ci!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microemission

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i've got a problem with this circuit that i have to mount to bring to my lab class, on a breadboard.The problem is that the circuit is not amplifing, but attenuating a bit the signal, a 1khz sine wave and de-phasing the signal (because of the capacitor) acting almost as a voltage follower.
The circuit is all ok, i checked it and rechecked it...
The components i'm using are
U1=ua741 (from Ti)
C2=220nf
R3=R4=1K
R5=10k or 100k
That would give me a closed loop gain of 10x or 100x which is not a happening.
I tried replacing the 741 but no effect
Then tried putting the same signal but now on the inverting input across the cap, here it would amplify the signal with no problem, but of course now it was inverting the signal which is not the original intent of the exercise.
I'm using a 600ohm output resistence signal generator (it only has got this output), a 1Mhz, 22pf input channel oscilloscope and power is from a AT Pc power supply, delivering a good simetrical 11.7v.
What could be the problem?

I don't think the cap is suppose to be there because it would filter out your signal or attentuating it.

What is the purpose of the cap? Take out the cap and it should amplify

It looks like your problem lies in C2 capacitor. For 1kHz it represents ≈730Ω and next to it you have 1kΩ resistor, so the input voltage is divided by 730/(730+1000) ..
If you use 1kHz test signal try to increase the value of C2 to , say 22µF, or more ..
Regards,
IanP

Changed the capacitor to a 47uf giving a ~3Ω at 1khz, but all is still the same...but now acting as a perfect voltage follower
Then tried putting the same cap on the inverting input and again it'd amplify ok.
Then got sick of the same circuit and grabbed a lf353 from the bin, mounted the same circuit, but still the same problem, on invering input, amplification, on the non inverting, a voltage follower...i'm starting to think this is from the 600Ω output from the signal generator as i think, on those on the lab we use 75Ω output...can this be the prob?
The circuit is part of a microphone amplifier with Agc, it controls the gain with the help of a fet, that is not described on the circuit I posted, but i'm guessing the cap is there only to isolate the dc component, and just let pass the ac component of the signal.The resistor R3 is to try to eliminate the non idealities of the opamp.

Measure your resistors.

This circuit is too simple to fail - or even be a topic on this board...

Solved, the feedback resistor was shorted out somehow....tkx for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back